Ch 57: An Aunt, Underground Cell

Writing is a hobby of mine; it adds color to my self-account. I hope everyone enjoys reading my story as much as I favor writing it.

There may only be a small community who follows up with the story but I still want to convey how happy I am to see everyone vote for my story and provide your personal feedback.

Cheers to all^^

**

"Mother and father, I did not see you guys complain when boxes of silver under my name enter the Manor for the Yuan Family. Is something the matter now? Have you guys regret accepting 70% of the money?"

Uncomfortable to my comment, Master Yuan clears his throat: "That is a different story."

Madam Yuan glances down to the ground and utters, "We said before that you can attend the missions as long as you let us know beforehand.."

"Mhm.. Alright." I sit on one of the chairs, "By the way, Xi Ning. Why do you have baby clothes with you?"

"Ah," Xi Ning continues, "Sister, I almost forget to tell you." She rubs her belly, "Sister, you are going to be an aunt."

"Ahhh, aunt." I blink.

My jaw drops, "Wait--What! Me?" I point to myself, bewildered. I direct my fingers at her belly, "You-- Ning'er, you are pregnant? Since when?"

Madam Yuan smacks my hand, "Rude to point, Yan'er. Your sister recently received news about her pregnancy."

Xi Ning nods, "I am just glad that during these times, Heavens blessed me with a child."

"During these times?" I question. Such young age-

Ah, women gave birth at a young age back then.

She smiles, "It is not what you think, Sister. I am just.." she proceeds, "Genuinely joyous."

"Is that so?" I sigh in relief, "If you're happy, then I am happy."

Xi Ning later returns back to my room to converse about the most recent life updates. I prattle on about how I began to work under Sir Xu, about how I am rewarded with more silver than I have seen.

Xi Ning is proud that my hard work has finally come to blossom into success. She chatters about how the Seventeenth Prince has come to her defense several times, treating her with decency.

It seems she has suddenly developed an intimate rapport with the Seventeenth Prince.

Somehow, conversations like this is fun. To be able to speak to someone about our little worlds is truly a blessing.

In the 21st century, my little world was filled with deadlines, pressure, and expectation. I was so dedicated to chasing what I thought was my own happiness that I did not realize that I began to build a white picket fence around my little world. The fence essentially marks the boundary between myself and everyone else around me.

It is here now, where I experience an epiphany that my number one passion isn't always a realistic career.

But of course, to have passions and big dreams in life is like air is to fire. They are critical factors fueling our lives; however, finding what we love is only half of the equation. We need to be able to make a living doing it.

In truth, real-life pressures require us to pursue avenues that sustain us with a decent and comfortable standard of living. And clearly, I wasn't making a great living as a writer.

Like always, there are exceptions to consider. Perchance someone is an excellent violinist or video gamer. That is amazing, yet we all understand that these are quite exclusive and specialized career fields, even if he or she is insanely talented.

In the end, we should all be well aware that love doesn't pay the bills. And unfortunately, I learned that the hard way.

I exhale with relief again, watching as Xi Ning sews a pair of ducks, with an adorable small duckling beside them.

Xiu Ying enters the room huffing and puffing, "Miss, you have a letter from Sir Xu."

**

"Sir," I announce as I cross my arms, "Seems like someone has lost his bet." I wave to my invisible audience, "Mhm, that's right. I won. No need to applause, really."

He pinches my nose, "No one is applauding. Don't be cheeky."

"Ow!" I rub my nose, which is probably red now. "I get it, I get it." Sheesh. Meanie.

Sir Xu expresses a solemn expression again, "The Tenth Prince left early again. Since last night, we both had difficulties forcing Kun Xiao reveal the person behind the scenes. But today is a new day. Perhaps your luck is better."

I follow Xu Kai and the guard underground. The path seems to become darker, more gloomy, and more sullen.

As I speed past the cells on both sides, pairs of eyes lurk through the dark. One by one, bodies rise up and press against the cells. I feel chills down my spine.

Momentarily, we reach the farthest room. The guard opens the door. Sir Xu is about to enter the room.

"Sir, you're going in too?"

"Am I not allowed to?"

I laugh nervously, "Well.. in order for my trick to work, you cannot be present."

His brows slope inwards to connote his surprise, "Is that so? I am curious as to what tricks are up your sleeves."

"Yes, Sir!" Before I enter the room, a hand gently grabs me by the arm. I swirl around, "Sir?"

"If you need me," His eyes rest on mine, "I will be here." I nod with a smile.

The smell of charcoal and rust fills my nose as I enter the room. In the center of the cell, Kun Xiao is locked up in chains and has a disheveled appearance.

I gulp, "Kun Xiao.. It's me, the person whose book has clashed with yours."

"I just want you to let you know that 'I Need You.' You are with us now and you are in grave 'Danger.' If you tell us who is behind of all this, we will put 'Blood, Sweat, and Tears' to protect you. We are your 'Friends.' Even for 'Just One Day,' please cooperate with us."

Kun Xiao's head lifts up: "D-Did you just create sentences using BTS' song titles?"

I nod with pride, "Yes. Yes, I did."