Ch 62: The Look of the Devil, Pinky Promise

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ― Frederick Douglass

Drop a vote if you feel bad for Rong Yi.. 😭

**

Time: Ten Years Ago

Location: Imperial Palace

COUGH! 

COUGH!

"Mother.." Cries a little boy, whose eyes swell with tears. "Why doesn't father ever come to see us?"

A woman who has a pale appearance rises up from the bed and smiles, "Rong'er.. Your father is just busy."

She pats him on his head, "He will come see us soon, my son."

He wears a frown, "You always say that, mother. Rong'er hates when you lie!"

...

"Please, Emperor! Punish this improper child. The moment his mother dies, he loses all his discipline!" The Imperial Concubine yells across the room. She demands for him to kneel, kowtow his head on the ground, and apologize.

"Rong'er, it is evident that you pushed Wei'er into the lake. What do you have to say about it?"

Wet and exhausted, the child is kneeling with his head down. He does not reply.

"Rong'er, answer me."

"..." Silence.

When the eleven years old Tenth Prince raises his head, he expresses a look of pure hatred.

A calm yet murderous glance coupled with a menacing posture and deadly stillness. All life and happiness has vanished, by the look of his eyes.

The Imperial Concubine shivers in fear. She whispers to the Emperor, "T-This child has to go.. He has the look of the devil."

In the end, the Emperor decides to send the child to a far away yet reputable Buddhist Temple. It is said he will stay there until he realizes his fault.

...

"Na, na, na, na, na!" Sings the children as they dance around in a circle, "Rong Yi does not have a father!"

"Yes, I do!" Responds the eleven years old Rong Yi, "He is just busy!" Vexed, he harshly pushes one of the children down to the ground.

"Hey, how dare you push him! Get him!" The children gangs up and begins attacking the small and fragile Rong Yi.

Helpless on the ground, little Rong Yi curls up in a ball and awaits until the children become weary of beating him.

How tiresome, he thought. Can someone just take me out of this world?

"Hey, bastards!" Screams someone, who is approaching the group. A little girl carrying a big stick with nails poking all over it runs towards the children. "Why are all of you taking advantage of one person?! Where is the fairness?!"

"Ahhh! Crazy Yan is here!" The children all swiftly run away, leaving the injured Rong Yi on the ground.

"You," she demands, "Get up." She gives him a dirty handkerchief, "Wipe your face with this."

Little Rong Yi looks at the handkerchief, which has a simple design. It looks unwashed.. Dirt is smeared on it too, but he uses it anyways.

"What's your name, boy?"

He mumbles, "Rong Yi.." He sights that she is a little lady, who may be two years or so younger than him. "How about yours, Princess?"

Her eyes sparkle, "Princess?" She slaps him with flattery, "Stop it! I know I look like a Princess but you didn't need to rub it in."

"O-Ow..." he rubs his back, which is red now.

"Wong Li, listen to me!" She squeaks, "You cannot let such a big group take advantage of you."

"M-My name is Rong Yi.." He rubs his eyes.

"Who cares," Little Zi Yan wraps her arms around his shoulders, "Wong Yi, from now on, you owe me your life. You have to serve as my servant, okay? You can learn from me here on, the big boss."

She begins to walk with him past the garden, "Let me tell you.. In my house, I am always ignored by the servants. Guess what I do? I take revenge on them. I burn their dresses and purposefully step on their foot. Evil, I know!"

Looking at him with a proud smile, little Zi Yan exclaims, "That is why you cannot let others step over you, you know? You gotta puff up and fight for yourself, Wong Yi."

He nods, "Okay, I understand now.."

She laughs hysterically while continuing to slap him in the back, "Good. Have you ever stolen meat buns from the temple? I'll show you how!"

"Why do you stink so much? Don't tell me the other kids throw their poop at you!"

"Hey, Hey, is it true your parents left you?!"

"Your arms are way too weak! Have you ever beaten up someone? I'll teach you!"

"Do you wanna visit my Manor? You can sneak in with me! I will show you my toothpick collection!"

..

And so for months, the Young Yuan Zi Yan sneaks Rong Yi in and out of the Manor. Until one day, Madam Yuan discovers the presence of an unfamiliar guest.

"Thief, thief! Someone, get the boy!"

"S-Stop!" Rong Yi takes something out from his pockets, a pendant in which only princes possess. "Tenth Prince, Rong Yi."

"Heavens, a Prince!" Madam Yuan bows once she realizes his identity, "What brings you here, Prince?"

He sighs with relief, "I am here for Zi Yan."

"Why, that little wench—" Upon seeing Rong Yi's confused expression, she changes her tone. "Ah.. I mean," she laughs, "My daughter, Zi Yan, has strange habits. Please pardon her, should she make any mistakes."

Rong Yi puts his pedant safely into his pocket, "Ma'am.. Please don't tell Zi Yan about my identity as the Tenth Prince."

She gasps, "Why not? She needs to treat you with respect and honor!"

The Tenth Prince smiles, "That is precisely why.. I don't want her to treat me in such a pathetic way."

..

"Wong Li, I am hungry," says Zi Yan while she is sitting down on the stairway in front of the temple. It is night; the moon is shining over them.

Rong Yi sits beside Zi Yan after unraveling the two meat buns hidden in his pockets. 

"You stole this, didn't you? Haha, that's my disciple for you!" She heartily thanks Rong Yi before chewing on the bun. "You're always so nice to me. When I grow up, I am going to find a husband just like you."

"..."

Rong Yi frowns, "I-If you're going to find a husband just like me.. Why don't you just marry me?"

She scoffs, "I don't marry my disciples. You need to be wealthy and have a high position."

"Is that so..." Little Rong Yi sulks. "W-What if I become wealthy and have a high position one day? Will you marry me then?"

"Hmm.." She thinks for a second and squints her eyes, "Of course! That's a no brainer!"

He holds out his pinkie, "Pinky promise?"

Little Yuan Zi Yan smiles and intertwines her pinky with that of Rong Yi, "Pinky Promise."

"I will tell you when I am ready! When I am, you will hold the most beautiful and luxurious wedding for me, okay?"

He nods, "I will wait for you until then!"