Ch 63: Good Yet Bad News, Sparing Her Life

QOTD:

"Sometimes it's not the people who change, it's the mask that falls off." -Anonymous

**

Block of Time: Morning

Location: Imperial Palace

The Tenth Prince kneels down and greets the Emperor. "Father, I am here today to pay you respect."

The Emperor takes a careful glance at the son he never paid attention to. "Rong'er... Is it? My, how you have grown!"

Rong Yi's lips twirl upwards, but he doesn't look the Emperor in the eye. "Indeed, I have. The reason that I am here today is not just to pay you my respect. I have some good, yet bad news to offer."

With a stroke of his beard, the Emperor frowns, "Good yet bad news.. You have gained my attention. Continue."

The Tenth Prince takes a booklet from his chest pockets, "I would assume that you wouldn't believe what I would say in a moment so I will present the evidence first." He hands the Eunuch the booklet, who then lays the booklet on the Emperor's hands.

As the Emperor examines the booklet and flips through the pages, his eyes widen. "Such preposterous and bold actions-- The Eighth Prince. How dare he conduct illegal transactions and smuggle opium?!" He exerts a sudden expulsion of air and coughs uncontrollably. The Eunuch hands the Emperor a cup of tea to clear his phlegm. He continues, "T-This is detestably absurd. Rong'er, where did you get such booklet?"

Rong Yi begins, "I have been working with Commander Xu's son, Xu Kai, as well as General Li and the Li Manor's Li Shi Zhen. As the Co-Commander, Sir Xu was able to help me gather these evidences. We couldn't gather enough evidences to make such claim, so we had to wait until we confirmed everything before we inform you."

The Emperor sighs, "You have done a marvelous job at collecting these circumstantial evidences in your investigation, Rong'er. Nonetheless, I would have to give the Eighth Prince the opportunity to present a defense."

With a nod, Rong Yi hides a hidden smirk. "Rong'er understands; however, there is also one thing you should consider." Rong Yi calls in an imperial herbalist who specializes in medicine. After enough time for a joss stick to burn, the Emperor now understood why he has been feeling sick.

All this time, it was a plot to make it appear he was falling ill. But the truth, indeed, was that the Eighth Prince had plotted to slowly poison the Emperor until his gradual death.

The Eighth Prince wanted the crown himself! Ludicrous!

Upon learning such news, the Emperor is infuriated. He throws his cup across the room. "The Eighth Prince will be locked up until further notice!"

For the time that the Eighth Prince was locked up, the Emperor sent his imperial guards to investigate the Eighth Prince's records and history.

As the Co-Commander of the imperial guards, Xu Kai had never understood how the booklet was leaked out; he thought it was gotten rid of by the Tenth Prince.

Sir Xu is apprehensive about what will happen next. What will the Emperor decide to do?

After several days of search, it is confirmed. All the information from Rong Yi's booklet is true. The death sentence of the Eighth Prince is determined.

The Eighth Prince had originally thought his predicament was over when Xu Kai passed him the written recordings, from which he burned. Was the booklet fake? Did Xu Kai lie? Too late to ponder.

"Xu Kai.. I will haunt you even when I die.." The Eighth Prince sneers as he is being dragged away into the cell. His eyes never leave Xu Kai as blood is gushing out of his mouth, "Keep a close eye on those you cherish because I will make sure they disappear from your life."

Xu Kai's eyes are on the ground the whole time, pondering whether if this is really the ending to everything. It happened so quick, it almost seems unreal.

...

The Emperor invites Rong Yi into the Imperial Palace with pride this time, "Rong'er, you have been an immense contribution to the city. You have caught your Eighth Brother red-handed and have helped save my life. For those who are involved with this affair, I will make sure all of those corrupt Ministers and Merchants are executed. With that said, what would you like to receive as your reward?"

With a bow, Rong Yi requests, "Father.. I know you will not pardon Minister Yuan for his corruption; however, I put in a plea to ask you to absolve his eldest daughter, Yuan Zi Yan."

"..She has not only been a wonderful asset to us discovering the Eighth Prince's plan, but the exact reason why the water in the Hubei Province is now in a healthy condition. So please, Rong'er begs you to spare her life."

"Rong'er, you would like for me to grant an amnesty for someone who may have taken part in--"

"--Father! I can guarantee that she has no involvement in the Eighth Prince's plan. If necessary, you can strip away my title to pardon her." The Tenth Prince kneels down and smashes his head to the floor, bowing for his father to pardon Zi Yan.

The Emperor sighs, "If you are so persistent, so be it. She will be absolved.. but for those who tries to stop the execution—Death will be granted upon them."

The Tenth Prince firmly nods, "Yes, Father."

"Go, Eunuch Yun," coughs the Emperor, "Issue an edict!"