Ch 67: Hands, Friends Are Family

**

We miss you, Yan Zi.

"Come back home... Please," faintly begs an elderly couple she could only decipher as her parents. "Your mother has insomnia at night. She cannot sleep because you still haven't woken up yet. Yan Zi, come back to us."

Yuan Zi Yan attempts to grab her parents' hands, to comfort them. But in an instant, like pieces of paper, they are blown and carried away by the wind. "Mom.. Dad! Don't go.." She chases and chases, but can never reach a destination.

It was then she saw herself.

In a mirror, she could see a faint reflection of herself.

Pale and floating,

Hanging by a thin thread.

Then her reflection turns into Xi Ning, whose face is covered in blood and bruises. "You.. It's you who killed me and my baby!" Xi Ning grabs Zi Yan by the throat and harshly chokes her.

"S.. Stop!" gasps Zi Yan, who is trying to breathe. Suddenly, she stops resisting the attack. Zi Yan gratifies the wish of the revengeful Xi Ning. She closes her eyes, smiling. "If that's what makes you happy..."

The scene switches again. This time, it is of Xiu Ying, who is running away from the Imperial Guards. In Xiu Ying's arms carry the shoes that Zi Yan made for her.

Yuan Zi Yan watches as the Imperial Guard, who yields a sharp sword, begins to catch up to Xiu Ying. "No!" Screams Zi Yan, "Xiu Ying.. Watch out!" She tries to grab Xiu Ying, but her hand passes through her, "Run, Run!"

Zi Yan wakes up with tears in her eyes, grabbing and screaming at the air. She is unable to fathom the difference between her dream and her reality.

The door quickly opens up, with Xu Kai sprinting towards Zi Yan. He cups her face and observes her pale and dazed out appearance, "You're dreaming, Zi Yan. Look at me-"

"Run..!" Zi Yan cries while looking at the open air. She pushes Xu Kai away and shields herself with her arm, as if she is being attacked.

Xu Kai embraces the trembling Zi Yan, "It's just a dream.. It's okay."

Tears continue to flow through her fragile eyes, "Get out now, leave! Please!" She gasps with a hiccup, "..Run."

The Co-Commander observes every movement of Zi Yan. Despite telling him to leave, her hand is clutching onto him tightly. "I am here now," he reassures her, "I will protect you."

"..."

**

"For how long has Miss Yuan's condition been like this?" ponders Scholar Li, "From her figure, it doesn't seem like she has been eating or sleeping well."

General Li sighs hopelessly, "She has been having nightmares for the past week. The most she had ever eaten was a bowl of porridge; even then, we couldn't get her to finish it. When she wakes up, she would stare at the blank space. We cannot seem to get her up from the bed either."

Scholar Li sulks and shakes his head, "If this continues, she will give up the will to live. But no matter how dreadful, I don't blame her. She lost everything in a mere day. The Emperor was so sudden with his Edict, we couldn't do nothing about it."

"..Sir Xu, you were by Miss Yuan's side for the past few days. Did you notice anything else?"

The Co-Commander begins, "Zi Yan once murmured that her hands are disappearing.. I check her hands and they seemed to be fine. She would also mutter in her sleep about a herb that can make her fall asleep for eternity.. Do you know what she means, Scholar Li?"

Scholar Li frowns, "..Yes. I know what she mean. I will have a talk with her. Perhaps it will make a change." Before Scholar Li heads out, he asks, "And Co-Commander.. Is it true? That it was the Tenth Prince who revealed the Eighth Prince's Plan?"

Xu Kai's eyes rest on the ground, "..Yes. I recently heard the news too. I believe he had swapped my transcript with a fake one and handed it to the Emperor. Ever since that.. He never communicated with us again."

Scholar Li clutches his fist, "So essentially, he used us to get the Emperor's favor? That bast-"

General Li continues, "The Imperial Family Line.. We will never understand. I heard of a rumor before that it was the Eighth Prince's mother who poisoned the Tenth Prince's mother; but, due to the lack of evidence, the case was left unresolved. Perchance the Tenth Prince has his own difficulties he is reluctant to mention."

With a sigh, Scholar Li nods, "Perchance.. Anyways, the Emperor summoned you guys, right? I will see you off and have a talk with Miss Yuan."

Once everyone dispersed, Scholar Li knocks on the Li Manor's guest room in which Yuan Zi Yan is currently residing in. "Miss Yuan, it is I, Scholar Li." A lack of response is normal, so he enters the room. He sights Yuan Zi Yan staring at the space again; he takes a seat beside her.

"Miss Yuan.. I heard you wanted to talk about the herb that will make you fall asleep for eternity."

"..."

"Before I talk about that, I want to let you know that.. General Li, Sir Xu, and I did not know the Yuan Family was involved in the Eighth Prince's plan. Nor were we the ones who handed the evidence to the Emperor."

Although Zi Yan doesn't say anything, her exhausted eyes turn towards Li Shi Zhen.

"No matter if you forgive us or not.. I want to let you know that we would not have done anything to hurt you. I say that because we are all friends, and friends are the family we meet along the way."

Scholar Li pulls out a miniature box from his pockets, "I have lied to you."

"I told you that the herb only blossoms once in half a year, but in truth, I had it all this time. I was just afraid that you intended to use it for yourself, so I hid it from you. But seeing you in this state.. I will let you make your final decision."

Li Shi Zhen places the box in between Yuan Zi Yan's hands: "I am well aware that you already know what it means to sleep for eternity.. That is why you were willing to sacrifice so much for the herb."

"Afterall,"

"It will grant you a rare, painless, and rather peaceful.."

"..Death."