Chapter 21

Chiara was preparing the dinner when Alessio came home. She was about to call her son when she noticed the grimace on his face. She wanted to ask him what was wrong but before she could, he was already going to his room, seemingly preparing his luggage for his move. She sighed and wondered how come lately everything seemed so messed up, why could not her children just get along with each other and why did she feel like everyone was keeping secrets from her. It was not like that a few years ago before her husband decided to step back from the business and handed the CEO position to his son, before Valeria and Alessio's engagement was announced and before Valentino left for Milan. Before that things were not the best among them, yes, but it was way better compared to how things were.

Though pondering about those things would bring her no good, she shook it off and focused on preparing the meal with the other staff in the kitchen, she wanted to make the dinner special, since the family had not been together for so long, she felt the need to bind them together again, and what better ways could one do that beside having a meal together. Yes, Chiara Consiglio was a traditional woman, she was raised in a devout catholic household where family came on second after God, it was why she needed to find ways to keep her family together.

Not long after, her husband, Gianluca came back from work, he walked straight to the kitchen when he smelt a delicious aroma to find his wide holding a tray of lasagna to be brought to the dining table. He could not help but offered his help, which she gladly accepted. After placing the meal on the table he approached her and gave her a kiss on the lips.

"It seems that my wife has worked hard today, why don't you have a shower first and let the staff handle the rest. Or if you prefer, we can take showers together" he teased, the other staff in the kitchen immediately turned their face away in embarrassment, pretending they did not just hear that. It did not matter how old he was, Gianluca still possessed a seductive trait he only showered to his wife. Chiara laughed as she hit his chest, he pretended and ouch before laughing while taking her hand in his own.

"I'm going to take a shower, my offer is still open if you want to" he smiled before going to his own room. On second thought, it did not seem like such a bad idea. Who said the sexual fun and romance had to die down just because you're both old and wrinkly, well, she was old, but definitely not that wrinkly.

After changing outfit, Gianluca and Chiara went to the dining room and started preparing for the meal. Chiara knocked on Alessio's door to remind him that dinner was ready, yet she found no response. She was getting concerned but after a few seconds, the door clicked open and Alessio came out of the room with the luggage ready in his hand. He had also switched out to a more comfortable shirt and casual pants.

"Put the luggage in the living room first, we don't want to be constantly reminded of your departure tonight" he nodded while carrying everything to the living room before following his mother to the kitchen. Chiara smiled as she watched her son with them, but it was not enough, Valentino was yet to be there. She was pretty sure she had reminded him earlier that morning about the family dinner, and he was supposed to show up, she did not feel like starting the dinner when it was still incomplete.

"Alessio, do you know where your brother is, I have called him earlier but I he did not pick up his phone" by earlier, she meant a few hours back.

"How am I supposed to know? Am I my brother's watch guard? Anyway you should call him again, mama, who knows, maybe he's not as busy now with whatever he is doing" he remarked with the slightest hint of sarcasm. Gianluca nodded, agreeing with his eldest.

"Well, I guess I'll call him first" she rose from her seat to pick up the phone and called him again. This time, her call was answered quite soon.

"Hello?" his voice sounded distant, and it was clear that he was driving as she could hear the sound of car honking from the distance.

"Valentino, where are you? The family dinner is about to start" she spoke a bit further away from the dining room, but it was still close enough for them to hear their conversation

"I'm sorry mama, but I don't think I can make it tonight, I need to bring Valeria to the hospital, she fainted and I am afraid something terrible will happen to her" Chiara's eyes widened.

"You're with Valeria? What happened to her? Okay, then you just go and take her there okay, we'll talk about this later" she cut the conversation short considering that her son was driving and the situation appeared to be an emergency. When she turned around, both men were staring at her. Alessio did not seem pleased about what he had just heard, Valentino was definitely making a move on her again, and he thought it was time to stop him. He rose from his seat to ask his mother about what was going on, Chiara told him everything, considering he had the right to know. Valeria was still his fiancee after all. Though she should not have because Alessio rushed out of the house with his luggage without saying anything else. His face was red in anger. He turned on his car, threw his luggage on the garage, got in and drove off without even bidding goodbye. Chiara followed him outside but when she reached the front door, his car had left their lot.

"Dio Mio, why is this happening?" she placed her hand on her chest before walking back to the dining room, where her husband was still seated with a fork and knife in his hand. She went to take a seat beside him and stared at her husband with a helpless stare.

"Don't worry too much about them. They are grown men, they could solve their own issues. Besides, they are brothers, they would not harm each other. Now, why don't we just have dinner, just the two of us? We don't want all these foods to go to waste" he cut a portion and handed it over to his wife. She took it from his hand and started eating despite their ruined family dinner.

"You know, Gianluca, sometimes I wonder what I had done wrong. I wonder why my sons can't seem to get along with each other? Do you remember when the boys were younger, they used to fight a lot. Perhaps we have given too much attention to Alessio and sort of neglected Valentino along the way, that's why they're now like that? God, I really don't know how to fix this" she finally expressed her distress. As a wife, Chiara rarely expressed negative emotions to her husband, just because she understood men don't usually have the best response to female's negative mood. However, the matter concerned her children, as a mother, she was truly worried about them.

"What do you want me to do then? At this point there is no stopping them, we have done our best as parents. It is time for them to solve their problems on their own" Gianluca was careful enough to not mention anything about Valeria, because he did not want her to worry about the love conflicts between the brothers. It sounded silly to even say the matter out loud. However, the silence that followed rouse suspicions within her.

"Gianluca, I have a feeling there is something you are not telling me, do you know anything about what happens between my boys?"

"No, dear, there is absolutely nothing you should worry about. Now, let us just finish our dinner and head to bed, shall we?" he picked up his wine glass and took a sip. Still, Chiara did not believe him.

Fine, if no one was telling her the truth, she just had to discover them on her own.

Even if that truth would shatter her heart in two.

***

Double chapters in a day? Yes, please.

My last present for you before I am back to my  routine schedule on college. I am trying to finish this story before October and I hope I can finish it before the deadline.

Anyway guys, please vote and comment, it would mean a lot for me

Don't forget to share it with others as well

Thank you for your support!

Love,

Valencia