Chapter 48

"Daisy was the daughter of a Baron. My family's territory was next to theirs and that's where we first met. I was still young back then, age of fourteen when I fell in love. We secretly meet at the forest that was between our family's territory. I promised things, whispered sweet nothings, stole small kisses. For a year we did those things secretly and we were happy. Until my eldest brother found out. He thought that Daisy wasn't the one for me. . well, she's plain-looking. I was clueless that my brother was already aware of my relationship with Daisy and would meet her behind my back. It took a month before I caught them kissing at the same spot where Daisy and I always meet.

"I asked for an explanation hoping that I saw it wrong but she just said sorry. That one year we had was nothing to her.

"I was hurt and took it by heart causing me to hate my closest brother. He tried to explain that he didn't truly love Daisy, he was just helping me realized what kind of girl I plan to marry. . . and that she was just aiming for the money that's why she easily jumped to my brother knowing he'll be the next Count. I didn't listen and decided to move to the capital and become a knight.

"My eldest brother realized what he did was wrong. With regrets and shame, he went on a journey to a different country. His letters to my family gradually lessen until he stops sending anymore. The last letter was for me saying, I'm getting married to someone I love. I hope you'll find your better half, Lucas. Since then he never came back and my second older brother took over the title."

How did our conversations turn out to be like this?

I stared at Lucas's handsome profile. He didn't look nor sound bitter or broken. He actually sounds relieved and like he was telling a funny story.

"It's done," Lucas said, and when his emerald eyes met mine in the mirror he smiled. It was different from his usual smile, something more genuine.

My heart reacted weirdly. Did I just got charmed?

"I wonder why you've got tough luck when it comes to love?" I thoughtfully said.

"Perhaps I'm meant to be single," he chuckled.

"Ahh. . You dying as a maiden. I can see that."

"Eurk! Princess, I was joking! You don't have to agree with it," he said looking dejected.

I ignored him and uttered, "Sometimes the most beautiful part is when you found something you want without looking for it. Maybe it's applicable in love also, right?"

Love, huh.