Ch. 25 You Aren't......

Pooja's P.O.V

A nurse held the door open as I wheeled in. She left closing the door leaving me waiting for the doctor. Dad was waiting for me in the waiting room.

After a minute or two Dr.Raeeza came in, accompanied by a police officer. They both smiled at me as they sat down, the doctor behind the table while the officer sat to her left pulling a chair to his side.

"Miss. Pooja?", I nod and she continued, "This is Officer Stephen and he would like to ask you some questions before I speak."

I again nod my head and the officer began, his voice stern, "So Miss. Pooja, would you by any chance know Miss. Renuka?"

"Yes."

"Your relationship with her?", Ok. That was rather a tricky question.

I stay silent for a moment before answering. "I wouldn't necessarily call her a friend but we are acquaintances.", I try not to loose my cool facade, as his eyes starts boring into me.

"May I know how?", his voice remaining the same sterness and coolness while we began.

"Is all these questions really necessary? And may I know why I'm being interrogated?", I loose my cool as he starts probing further.

The officer keeps quiet for a moment just staring at me, making me uncomfortable,  before he motions to the doctor to continue -

"Miss. Renuka was brought into the hospital about a week back, when someone informed the police about a lady being assaulted by several men. She had been brutally raped and beaten several times before the police could reach there and help her.", my breathe stuck in my throat. Enemy or not, no one deserved that.

Officer Stephen cut her off, as if pissed by the fact that they couldn't help a lady in need, and continued, "From our investigations we have already caught them, a gang of local rowdies, with the help of a CCTV footage from nearby shop and they are currently under trial. We weren't able to find a mobile phone or any identity cards on her and only when a missing persons complaint had been lodged after two days by her employer did we get her name and she also had no names under Renuka's emergency contacts. It seems like Renuka had lost her purse while running away for safety.", I sat there shell shocked in silence trying to process the information.

Dr.Raeeza spoke after a few minutes, "She had gained consciousness yesterday and had asked to contact you. It was fortunate she remembered that she had left your phone number with her new flat owner as emergency contact. The police just wanted to make sure about your relationship with Miss. Renuka. They weren't able to find any last names or her family or friends."

Dr.Raeeza and the officer talked between themselves for a few minutes, before he decided it was time to leave us. "Sorry for my rudeness. But if there is anything you would like to share please don't hesitate to contact the station.", I nod at himk in response.

The doctor turned her full attention towards me and from the way her shoulders had suddenly turned stiff, I knew not to expect good news. "Miss. I need you to be prepared if you are going to meet her. We have been trying our best but her body isn't reacting to the medicines. Even though she had undergone a few surgeries, her situation is still critical and we haven't been able to stabilise her. The next 36 hours is so crucial and I would like to tell you to be prepared for whatever may come. But before meeting her I hope you try adjusting with the news, first."

I meekly nod at her before leaving the room, suddenly feeling breathless.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I go back to the waiting room where Dad was and tell him everything. He too was shocked to know all about it.

"I don't know what to do, Dad!", I lean my head on the head rest of my wheelchair.

He takes my right hand in both his hands, making me look at him. "Do what you feel is right. If you feel like getting out of here, just tell me and your wish will be my command. But if you are wanting to meet her, then go do it before it's too late."

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

She looked so fragile, that I was even scared if I would hurt her while I took her right palm in mine. There were bruises of different colours on her neck, face and hands and i knew more bruises were hidden under her that pale blue hospital gown she was wearing. There were a number of tubes of different sizes on both her hands, nose and mouth.

"Renuka?", I softly call out not wanting to wake her up if she was sleeping.

As her eyes slowly opened, I could see how painful it was for her, her left eye only half open. She tried to smile weakly. "You came?", her voice barely a whisper.

"Does it hurt too bad?", I know it was the most stupid question you could ever ask to someone in her place. But other than that nothing came into my mind.

She tries to let out a chuckle, but rather comes out as a cry in pain.

"Thank you for being here. I really never thought I would have someone by my side in my last moments. The gates of hell has been opened for me Pooja. I must go. But before that, promise me one thing. You would go back to Arjun.", Tears fill my eyes as she speaks taking laboured breathes in between. I nod my head and she smiles.

"The doctors saved my baby. I know I wouldn't be able to take care of a child, even if I live. Don't tell her anything about me. And that would be better comparing to her coming to know what kind of a person I was.", tears drop down along the side of her face and she takes in a laboured breathe.

Her fragile hands holds mine tightly before she continues, "I know I'm asking too much. But....", she again takes a deep laboured breathe, ".....could you please take care of her. I could at least die peacefully knowing you and Arjun will be taking care of my kids."

"You aren't dying on me.....", my voice trembling as my tears drop onto our joined palms.

She smiles, "Thank you for giving me a chance." She takes a deep breathe, "And sorry......", her voice gets stuck in her throat as life leaves her eyes.

I sit there, with my hand in hers and tears flowing from my eyes.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

**********************************************

It was really heart breaking for me to write this chapter. Good or bad, I killed one of my characters. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Drop your thoughts and votes..........

Happy reading..........