Chapter 19

The rest of the weekend went by surprisingly quick. Next thing I know, I am back in the carriage.

My last weight is talking to Dexter. I know his parents will let him know, but I would be a coward if I didn't. It will be the final weight, I think. My heart feels heavy still. I don't understand why.

I stepped out of the carriage and let out a deep sigh. I don't even have to look for him. I know he will find me.

I walked into the building with my head hung low. I don't know when he will find me and that scares me.

As if on cue I found my arm being gripped. Then I was pulled somewhere. I already know who it is so I kept my head low and just went along with it.

Then suddenly I was pushed roughly against the wall.

"You annulled our engagement, without my consent?" He spat at me, shaking my shoulders and getting in my face. He had deep eye bags and looked scarier than usual.

"You want...ugh never mind..." I murmured. "Listen! We were engaged when I was like, five? It was never our choice, it was our parents. We," I pointed at both of us.

"Neither of us ever had a say. I don't need to get your consent to annul it when you aren't the one who arranged the engagement or old and mature enough to handle it yourself." I glared.

"I'm not letting you go." He got closer to my face. He was so close that I could smell his breath. Disgusting...

"And why is that?" I crossed my arms.

"I'm in love with you!" He scowled, spitting on my face. I widened my eyes for a second, but not because he said he loved me, more because his rotten egg smelling saliva is now on my face.

I gagged and wiped it off and then wiped it into his blazer.

"Love?" I scoffed. "You are not in love. What you 'love' is to have control over me. You mistake whatever strange infatuation you have for control with love." I glared.

"You know...you are no better than Elizabeth." He smirked, knowing he hit the spot. "Yes she slept with some other guy, she also admitted it. You said you never slept with another guy, but stuff still happened...right?" He chuckled. I couldn't help but freeze. I want to forget about that incident. What I did was wrong and I don't have anyone to blame, but myself...

"You are a whore." He leaned in and whispered into my ear. "You are no better than her. You are a hypocritical bitch." He finally let go of me and wiped his hands.

"I've dirtied myself." He laughed. "I can't believe someone as plain as you, thinks you are better than everyone." He sighed and put his hands on his head. "Anyways, ciao, I have a feeling this won't be the last time we meet." He smirked over his shoulder and finally walked away.

That went worse than I thought. I pictured me telling him off and walking away unharmed. I'm not physically harmed but I felt my knees give out as I slid down against the wall. I quickly wrapped my arms around myself and brought my knees to my chest. My final weight? Is it actually done, or do I have some still left?

I groaned. Why am I getting so worked up? What he said isn't true...right?

"No...he is right..." I mumbled into my knees, in denial. My brown hair fell over my knees which in turn covered the rest of my face. I brought my head up and saw my vision blur. Then I felt cold on my cheeks. I cupped my cheeks. Am I crying? Why am I crying?

"Stop..." I scratched at my cheek, "Stop it..." I started to have trouble breathing. Why am I letting what he said get to me?

It's true...it's all true. I am a hypocrite. What I did was wrong. I am no better than Elizabeth. I'm terrible. I am a terrible person.

"Jody!" Someone suddenly gasped and engulfed me in a hug. Breath...breath...

"W-who- Leon?" I gasp. Gosh, he is seeing me like this...

"Are you okay?" He pulled away, his eyebrows furrowed. He gently took my hands off my face and held them in his large ones. The warmth coming from him was so comforting...

"I-I'm fine." I mumbled.

"Okay, let me rephrase...what happened? Why are you crying?" He frowned, crouching down to me.

"I annulled my engagement." I muttered, wiping my eyes.

"You're upset about that?" He questions, cupping my cheek and rubbing where I had scratched. I found myself leaning into his warm touch and shutting my eyes.

"He said, some stuff." I frowned.

"Like?" He gritted his teeth.

"I don't want to say..."

"Why?"

"I don't want you to think bad of me..." It went silent for a bit.

"Hey look at me..." He suddenly said softly. I opened my eyes slowly, as he took his hand off my face. I immediately missed the warmth, but was greeted with a soft smile and a light blush.

"You know I could never think bad of you." I felt all the heat rise to my face at those simple words.

"You say that now..." I pouted and averted my eyes.

"Well... what did he say?" He asked sitting next to me, leaning his back on the wall.

"He called me a whore and no better than...Elizabeth." I frowned, laying my head on my knees again.

"That's not true." He sighed.

"Don't lie. It really is." I felt my eyes welling up again. I realized I was being whinny and really didn't want to stay on this subject longer. No matter what is said.

"Um anyways..." I looked around searching for something to say. Then I saw the girl he was talking to the other day walk by.

"That's the girl you like, right?" I ask suddenly. I really don't want to be on this subject either, but I asked without thinking twice.

"What?" He raised an eyebrow confused.

"That girl, she was the girl you like." I nod, ignoring the feeling in my chest.

"Huh?" He gasps.

"The girl! The girl you were asking advice for." I raise an eyebrow looking at him. Did he forget already? I watched the gears turn in his head before he face palmed.

"She's not who I like." He turned to me.

"What?" I gasped.

"She is not who I like." He said seriously staring into my eyes. If that's not who he likes...then who could it be. I stared into his red eyes for answers. Then I got an absurd idea.
I shook my head quickly. No, it couldn't be me.

"Then...who?" I asked. The air felt heavy and it felt like no one else was around as I pushed the question out. He gave me a soft smile and turned his body towards me.

Then I felt someone tug me into a standing position. The back of my head hit someone's chest and I looked up, surprised to see Simeon. He inspected my face by cupping it in his large hands. Warm...I guess all fire users hands are this warm. He suddenly wrapped his arms around my body and turned me around, pulling me into him. He embraced me and I could just feel him glaring at Leon.

"Hey, we were talking." Leon suddenly said, standing up. I could feel him near, though I couldn't see because my face was in Simeon's chest.

"So?" He tightened his hold on me. I'm going to be smothered to death if he doesn't let go.

"Simeon?" I mumbled against the fabric of his outfit.

"Hm?" He hummed in reply.

"I- I can't breath..."

I just want to say, you guys are literally so sweet! Also, thank you Suecam192YT for the idea! If anyone has more ideas, keep throwing them at me!