17- A Crack In The Glass

PRESENT DAY

PRESENT DAY

AFTER THE TURN OF EVENTS, Veronica decided to go with Dick. She wasn't altogether sure it was the right decision, but it was what she wanted to do. The sky was nearly dark now, the only source of brightness the moon and the last fading light from the sun. Trees surrounded them as they drove down a winding road, silence in between the two.

The woman fiddled with her hands in her lap, looking over at Dick's solemn and hard expression. "I didn't really know you had that in you." She spoke up, Dick not even sending a glance in her direction.

"What?"

Veronica hesitated, "The way you attacked that man." Her voice was low and quiet, "I've never seen you that way, Dick. It was...different."

The man didn't comment and Veronica shifted her body to face him, "Listen I know I'm not exactly the first person you'd want to talk about this with. But I do know that if you don't unbury all those things that have accumulated over the years...you're going to explode, Dick. Just like Rachel."

Veronica winced slightly. She knew she was part of all those things, just like Dick was to her. Perhaps he couldn't get over it, just like the way she couldn't, those feelings for him still buried deep within her. Their past was one they would both have to try and combat, and she knew that. But, was she prepared for it?Was he?

"I didn't know you were a shrink." Dick spoke then, and she sighed.

"That's not the point."

"What is the point then?"

"You have problems, Dick. Hell, we both have some major fucking problems, and the only way to get past that is to deal with them." She looked at him again. His jaw was clenched and his eyes glued on the road.

As if she was one to talk about putting the past behind you.

"I don't want her to make the same mistakes I did, trusting in the wrong people," He voiced suddenly, finally looking at her. "You know what we went through. I don't want Rachel going through that pain, too."

Memories resurfaced to Veronica, crashing over her like a tsunami, pulling her down under the forceful current, and every second she tried to come up for air, just throwing her back under once more. "I do," Her voice was barely a whisper, slightly hoarse, "and I won't let her."

"Why are you even here? Besides the case, obviously. Why are you sitting here, talking to me? You didn't have to come with." Dick asked, and he glanced at her for a moment.

Veronica didn't exactly know how to answer that. "Because, Dick. I have questions, and I have answers. Both of which you need to know. So, I'm here. And you're here. I don't exactly know where that puts us, especially after...everything." Her voice faltered to a mere whisper on the last word.