Chapter 5

That night, the three Career Districts enjoyed dinner together on the first floor. Jade had the opportunity to meet some of the other mentors, all victors that were worth being recognized.

Jade watched as the other Districts entered their apartment, the tribute's jaw dropping as they saw Jaehyun and Taeyong, the former draping an arm over his sister. As Jade met Renjun's eyes, she quickly pushed Jaehyun's arm away, making Renjun turn away, most likely to hide his expression. The mentors and escorts greeted each other, all seeming to be good friends with one another from their years of training tributes together.

Johnny welcomed them to the table before taking a seat himself once everyone was settled. Dong Sicheng, or Winwin as he liked to be called, sat next to Renjun, who was across from Jade. Jade noticed that Winwin was just as quiet and expressionless as Renjun, and took the wild guess that Winwin had been training Renjun for a while. Winwin was known for his martial arts skills, being extremely flexible. He was a fancy fighter, putting on a show whenever he killed another tribute.

District 2's escort was Lucas, a bright and cheerful male, who was extremely loud as well. He was the complete opposite of Winwin, entering the room cheering, greeting the Johnny and the two mentors.

Haechan's mentor was the oldest in the room, named Taeil. Taeil wasn't violent but rather watched from the sidelines as the other tributes killed one another. When there were only two of them left, Taeil used his strength to hold the other one underwater, letting him inhale as much water as he could before drowning to death.

Jungwoo was District 4's escort. Quiet but always wearing a smile. It seemed that him and Lucas were very close, as he followed Lucas as he moved around the room.

There was also the two female mentors from District 2 and 4 but they didn't seem as close to the other mentors, keeping to themselves as they quietly talked with Bora and Hyewon.

"It's been a while, my friends." Jaehyun said as he proposed a toast. The other members of the tables soon followed suit, clinking glasses before beginning their meal.

"The Hunger Games, such a lovely time." Taeil sighed as he took a bite out of his food. It seemed that only Jaehyun and the three escorts agreed with him, the rest of the room being quite quiet.

"The Careers could use a win this year." Taeyong said bitterly. Last year, a District 10 male won the games, striking the last opponent with a brick. A small laugh escaped Jaehyun's lips at the comment.

"Relax Taeyong, we have skillful tributes this year." Jaehyun said, giving them all a smile.

"Arrogance is what gets you killed." Taeyong mumbled. Jade noticed Jaehyun's eyebrow twitch, a bad sign.

"Excuse me?" Jaehyun said, staring at the male. The members of the table shifted uncomfortably in their seats, not knowing what to say.

"Nothing." Taeyong said, staring at his food. The only sound in the room was Taeyong's fork scraping the plate as everyone else had stopped eating.

"I'm sure you said something, Lee Taeyong." Jaehyun said slitting his eyes. He began to stand up, his fist clench. Taeyong slammed his fork down, shaking the table before standing up.

"It was nothing, could you give it a rest?" Taeyong said glaring at him. Jade debated whether she should hold her brother's arm as the two mentors got closer and closer, bringing their arms back.

"Enough!" Winwin yelled, surprising the group. Even Renjun gazed him with an eyebrow raised, the most facial expression he has ever shown all of them.

"Can we all just enjoy the meal in peace?" Winwin said to them. Jaehyun and Taeyong exchanged looks before taking their seats once again mumbling to themselves. Winwin began eating again as everyone else watched him. Winwin eyed Renjun, who quickly followed. Soon, the whole group were enjoying their meal once again.