44. three powerful words

After the incident with Esther, Elijah took Brynley back to the parking lot where her car was. When she turned around to invite Elijah to her place, but when she did, he was gone. He left and sped over to the Mikaelson mansion.

"Where the bloody hell is everyone?" Rebekah asked.

"It's over, Rebekah." Elijah looked down.

"Where's mother?" Rebekah turned around.

"We have no mother. Only Esther, and Esther was right." Elijah answered.

"What do you mean?" Rebekah looked at her brother, confused.

"My talk of virtue. When it suits my needs, I kill, maim, and torment. Even today, I terrorized an innocent." Elijah sighed.

"Elena is hardly innocent." Rebekah rolled her eyes.

"And I used your hatred of her to get what I wanted. Wielded you like I would a sword. My sister." Elijah shook his head, ashamed.

"You did it to protect us, Elijah, and rightly so! We deserve to live! We are better than they are." Rebekah yelled.

"Are we? Mother made us vampires. She didn't make us monsters, we did that to ourselves." Elijah asked and then thought of Brynley came to his head. "I'm a monster, and I dragged Brynley into my mess. If Bonnie Bennett hadn't suggested breaking the bond, Mother would have killed all of you and me, and Brynley would have died with me. She got harmed today because of me, and she doesn't deserve that."

"Elijah, no! Today was mother's fault, and Brynley knows that," Rebekah shook her head. "She knows you would never try to put her in harms way."

"I don't try to, but I do." Elijah left the room.

-

Brynley stood in her room in the Fletcher household, attempting to do a spell to try to heal her burnt arms.

"Cura el cremat. Cura el cremat," Brynley whispered as she watched her arms glow gold. When the glow faded away, so did the burns on her arms. Brynley smiled. "I did it."

Brynley felt the presence of someone else in her room and quickly turned around to see Elijah.

"Hey." Brynley walked up to him and noticed something was wrong. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Elijah replied as he looked into her blue eyes, they were filled with goodness and innocence. It's what he craved in his life, and for the past three days he had it, and it was was amazing. But Brynley Fletcher was pure good, and he was selfish for wanting to have some of that in his life. When there's even a spark of good around him, Elijah believed that it would be ruined if it spent too much time around him. And Brynley may be small, but she was a huge spark of good, that Elijah believe he would hurt and ruin.

"Like you said earlier, I watched your whole life on my dreams, I can tell when you're upset." Brynley quoted and tried to grab the original's hand, but he pulled away. "Elijah, what's wrong?"

"I came to say goodbye." Elijah said and Brynley looked up at him.

"You're leaving already?" Brynley asked and Elijah nodded. "Why?"

"I'm not doing you any good, Brynley," Elijah sighed. "You could have gotten hurt today because of me-"

"It wouldn't have been because of you." Brynley shook her head and realized something. "Klaus told me that you haven't let yourself truly care about someone besides them in a long time. Why?"

"Anyone I care about ends up getting hurt. And then I get hurt. I get used to having someone around and then they get hurt because of me, and I don't have them anymore." Elijah answered.

"Is that why you're like this now? Cold? And why you're leaving?" Brynley guessed.

"It's because I don't want you getting hurt, Brynley. I don't want to live in a world where I don't have you." Elijah admitted and Brynley smiled sadly at him.

"You'll always have me. I don't care about getting hurt. Because you know what, Elijah Mikaelson?" Brynley stepped closer to the original and realized something right in that moment, and all of a sudden she had all this courage to say three small but powerful words. "I love you."

Elijah looked up at her as she continued to smile at him.

"I love you and it is the greatest thing I've ever felt in my entire life. And yeah, maybe I will get hurt for doing so, but I don't care if it means I get to be loved by you-" Brynley couldn't finish her sentence because Elijah wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed her passionately. Brynley smiled into the kiss as she wrapped her arms around her neck, Elijah cupping her face with one of his hands. The couple eventually pulled away from each other's lips, Elijah smiled at her as he leaned his forehead against her before saying:

"You have no idea how much I love you."

a/n: THEY SAID I LOVE YOU AWWW fun fact, ive had this scene, where bryn and elijah say i love you written before i even wrote chapter 15 of this book. basically ive been waiting to publish this scene forever. some of you may think that it's too soon for them to say i love you, but keep in mind they've been talking for almost a year and spent every night together for like three months so they had a lot of time together

anyways that's the last chapter for today guys luv u bye