14 | The Trolley Graveyard

He kissed the back of my neck and hugged his body close to mine in bed. I could feel the sun shining through the window behind us. It was too hot to stay under the blanket, but we let our bodies bake in our morning cocoon a little longer anyway.

"Let's get away today. Just the two of us," he said. He hugged me closer and slid his hand down the front of my underwear.

"Charlie!" I laughed. I turned over and kissed him on the mouth. "Where do you want to go?"

"What about that place you're always talking about? The train morgue?"

"The trolley graveyard," I corrected. I laughed and got out of the bed. "Now what do you want to go somewhere like that for?"

He grabbed me and pulled me back into the bed. He smothered me in kisses and explored my body with his hands. The white sheets caught around us as we wrestled. "I want to see the place where you used to make out with all the boys from across town."

"It was only two boys," I said.

"Well, I want to make it three." He was on top of me, my legs wrapped around his waist, pulling him closer. He kissed me again on the mouth, wide open, our tongues desperately searching for more––more of this feeling, more of each other, more time––just more.

Eventually we pulled apart from each other like reluctant magnets and remained on opposite sides of the room as we resumed our new routine, only occasionally crossing the boundary to steal a kiss or grab the lotion. We got dressed and made the bed before heading downstairs. It was Darren's first day back at work and he was already gone. Anna was with the baby. They were in the living room when Charlie and I finally emerged around nine. Anna's hair was in a messy bun, last night's curls fighting to be free. She winked when she saw me.

"Morning! We're heading across town later," I said on my way to the kitchen. "Let me know if you need anything while we're out."

Noah raced in while we were making eggs to show me a book. He dropped it at my feet and with no explanation, ran back to the living room before I could pick it up. We ate our breakfast––Charlie drank his coffee and I had my tea––mostly in silence, looking out at the freshly-cut grass in the backyard, the oak trees swaying in the morning breeze, our legs tangled around each other under the table.

It took about fifteen minutes to get across town due to traffic and sunny weather. Everyone in Windber was out and about, running errands, either walking or driving, and often stopping to interact with each other. Charlie switched the radio station from country to R&B, exclaiming he had had enough of smalltown indulgence music. We passed The Windber Hotel and glanced up at the employees' heads poking up above the ledge, cleaning, preparing for another night of drinks and drinking games gone wrong.

We hadn't discussed the game. Or the evening, really. After Darren and I had left the roof, it was a fairly normal double date. Charlie and Anna did most of the talking––Anna was so curious about New York City living and Charlie was as equally fascinated at the idea of wanting to spend all day surrounded by children. He couldn't relate. Darren and I had stolen a glance at this moment, but I had chosen to ignore it.

The dinner was delicious and uneventful. We each ordered a different seafood dish and one more drink. I think Darren and Charlie were both trying to be good after drinking too much wine the other night. Anna, on the other hand, had too many beers and the night had ended when she asked Darren why he never followed up on their date. He politely responded that now was not a good time for him––plus Noah––and then had asked for the check.

I let Charlie turn up the volume of the R&B station and searched for a parking spot. It was always difficult to find something at the center of town as there were more cars than people and more people than town. Finally, we parked the car and put on sunscreen. We walked to the trolley graveyard hand in hand. I couldn't help but look around to see if anyone was watching. I never did that when we held hands in the city, but somehow, in Windber, it felt like I was getting away with something. I was a teenager the last time I had walked in those woods. Back then, I never could have imagined a moment like this one or a man like Charlie.