.two.

"Hey Zuko?" Y/n spoke up, eyes on the sky. Her body was sprawled out on the roof of one of the Palace towers. Zuko was next to her, his hand placed tightly in hers.

"Hm?" He asked, voice cracking just a bit. He had been crying. There was a meeting with the fire king that day and Zuko had made a complete fool of himself infront of his father. After his mother left his bedroom, he came running to y/n's little broom closet room in the middle of the night, bawling. She led the young boy to the roof so he could tell her what was wrong in peace.

"Do you think......do you think miss... you know, loves me?" She asked, not taking here eyes off the stars. 'Miss' was Zuko's mother, a kind and generous woman, just like Zuko. She treated y/n almost like her own child, cuddled and cared for her like the second daughter she never had. But she never once said that she loved the girl. And in turn y/n could never call her mother. She didn't remember much of her mother, and she didn't know what motherhood was like.

"I don't know. I'm sure she does. Has she ever said it?" Zuko replied, thankful for the subject change.

"...no."

"Oh well, that's okay. Why did you ask?" His bright little voice chirped.

"I've never felt that kind of love before. The kind that you and Azula have from your family." Y/n was born in one of the more rural areas of the fire nation, and a few years ago it was attacked in rebellion by the earth nation. Everyone was killed. The fire king couldn't be bothered to send an army out to such a inferior
village so he let them all die. And when the area was surveyed for any usable loot, they found y/n, the only survivor. Her first instinct was to attack the soldiers, showcasing her strength, and soon she was offered a home in the palace. But to them, she was nothing more than a war weapon.

"Well.... I love you." He said.

"Really?" Y/n's heart was breaking. She felt guilty, so very guilty. Before Zuko knocked on her door that night, one of the servants were in her room to inform her that she would be leaving the fire nation the next morning for training. And she wouldn't be back for a few years. She was going to tell Zuko, but when he turned up crying at her doorway, she couldn't bear to break his heart any further.

"Yeah!" He exclaimed. Y/n squeezed his hand in hers a little harder.

".....then will you still love me when I get back?" She asked, a silent tear falling down her face.

"What?"

"General Zhao said I have to leave for training. I won't be in the fire nation anymore." She croaked, wipping tears from her face.

"When-when will you be back?"

"I don't know, I'll be gone for a very long time."

Silently, Zuko moved over and curled up at y/n's side. His hands stretched out to wrap around her waist. He nuzzled her side as tears fell down his face. He feared losing her, he needed her. With y/n being almost a year older than him, he followed her like a lost puppy, and she protected him as such.

Y/n's arm came around to rub his back as he sobbed against her, her own tears staying silent in the air.

She began humming a tune about Ba Sing Se Uncle Iroh sang to her years back, hoping to calm Zuko down. Soon his cries were nothing more than a few sniffles against her abdomen.

"And Zuko, I love you too. I love you so much. And I'll still love you just as much when I get back." She did, maybe she was too young to understand love, but she didn't care. Maybe she sounded desperate, but she didn't care. She was promising her love to this boy because her heart was his, forever, no matter how things could change.

"I'll still love you when you come back, I promise." The young boy mumbled, his eyes fluttering as he curled up closer to her side. Y/n watched with wet eyes as he fought sleep, eventually drifting off.
The next morning, y/n and Zuko's mother were nowhere to be found. Zuko would spend his time wondering when y/n would be back, little did he know he would never see her return to fire nation.