𝐀 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 - 𝐏𝐭. 𝟒

You cut your vacation short and quickly boarded a plane to return home

You cut your vacation short and quickly boarded a plane to return home. Once back, you barely stepped out of your house, not having any desire to run into Orien.

It had gotten to the point where Irin had to beg you to accompany her to functions, which you staunchly rejected without batting an eye, preferring to stay within the perimeters of your family property.

However, after a few weeks, an invitation had arrived that could not be rejected. The Ciro family would throw their much anticipated annual masquerade ball on their private island, and in a show of goodwill, despite the slight that resulted from the failed engagement, they had invited you and Irin. As soon as you read the invitation card, you knew it was impossible to thwart it, as your father already made it very clear of his intentions to get back on their good graces.

Two exquisite, intricate masks, one amethyst, another emerald green, were sent along with the equally beautiful invitation cards. The amethyst one was apparently for you to wear. Your fingers ran over the charming flowery details on the mask, silently praying, hoping against hope, that you wouldn't run into that man.

~

The large ballroom swelled with music, which bounced off the lofty sky-blue ceiling and shimmery, gilded walls and into your ears as you stepped in through the grand ivory doors. Huge, elegant crystal chandeliers illuminated the grand interior with soft light, but more elegant than them were the guests, all dressed to the nines. Glittering carmine and emerald and gold and white swirled with the music, wafts of perfumes and cologne lingering in the air. A gentle hum accompanied the music, masked strangers laughing and talking and exchanging looks, trying to unmask the identity of one another.

Since the party was already in full swing, you realized with a sigh you had arrived late. If word reached your father, he would be quite angry. Not that it was your fault, really. Irin had frowned and fretted for hours on end, unable to choose a dress from her wardrobe that could easily fill an entire room. You had tsk-tsked unhelpfully, remarking that it was the fate of those with too many choices.

Irin was swallowed by the crowd by the moment you walked a few feet into the room, disappearing among the glamorous vibrant fabrics and elegant black tuxedos.

You felt a little lost, not sure about where you wanted to go. After a moment of hesitation, you headed towards the long tables filled with refreshments, all presented attractively in a rainbow of colors, waiting to fill the stomachs of guests. Enjoying the aroma of the food spread, you took a little of whatever caught your eye before heading to a table in the corner, intending to spend the night eating while people-watching.

You were halfway through eating your plate of food when a neatly uniformed doe-eyed little maid came to you with a large slice of chocolate cake.

"This is for you, miss. Enjoy it.", she said with a small smile before walking away with swift footsteps, surprisingly fast for someone of her stature.