A Grateful Gecko

so I recently unpublished and republished my book. so sorry about that, it was out of fear
remember (L/N) = Lizard Name
—————————————————————

"Now THAT'S a name if I ever heard one." Australia beamed. "You aren't so bad, (Y/N). The countries will absolutely love you."

"You think so? How many countries are there?"

"195."

"Shit."

———

(Y/N) POV

Australia seemed like someone I would really get along with. As he drove, he was mainly the one to speak and contribute to the conversation, which was good because the adrenaline was drained from me and the fact that I had been portal jumping and walking a ton had just now caught up to me. If I wasn't so sapped, I definitely would've spoke more.

"And there was this one time where I brought home a snake and America officially declared that he was moving out. Mate wasn't joking, the next day he packed his bags and booked it out of there. Now he lives with Canada. He doesn't know this, but I let the snake have his room." Australia let out a chuckle.

I snickered. "He's probably the type of guy to throw away the house when he finds a spider lurking around."

"He insisted on it once, actually." Australia replied. "My spiders were on the loose one time and when he found some, he said we should throw away the house. To this day, I still can't tell if he was being genuine or if he was joking."

"Can't really blame him, a bunch of spiders on the loose sounds pretty bad."

"I guess. It didn't really help my case when I told him they were venomous."

(L/N) was laying on my lap, sunbathing. Or trying to at least. Every time we turned a corner, the light would shift so they would move to wherever they found the warmth of the light. I remained silent, too interested in watching (L/N) move around.

I wondered what would happen once we arrived. Where do these countries live?Australia mentioned that America lived with Canada, but what about everyone else? Will I be able to meet them? I guess the first thing I'll do when I arrive is set up (L/N)'s terrarium, but who knows if they'll be able to stay put in there.

Australia slowed down a bit. "Well, we're almost there. It's just the house up ahead." He gestured to the single house up ahead. "We had our house built out here, near the grasslands. I like to live close to where all the fun is."

I looked at him. "We?"

"Yeah. Back when America and Canada lived with us. Canada was the first to move out, then America." Australia told me. "Now it's just me and New Zealand. Not that I'm complaining, the guy is a real humdinger to be around."

I smiled. Australia parked his car and we got out. He got out the keys to his home and unlocked the door. Upon entering the home, my eyes landed on the assortment of boomerangs on the wall.

He seemed to notice my fascination. "I collect those. I haven't used one in a while, but if you want, I could show you. I might be a little rusty, though."

"Actually, yeah. I wanna see one in action." I replied. "It would be cool."

Australia nodded in response. He then walked up a couple of steps of the stairs.

"OI, ZEALAND! YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHO I HAVE WAITING DOWNSTAIRS! GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!"

Brothers, amiright.

After a couple of seconds of waiting, Australia sighed and walked up the stairs. He returned shortly to tell me that his brother was no where to be seen.

"Guess we'll have to wait. Actually, in the meantime, we could set up your little gecko's terrarium." He told me.

"Or I could go to sleep."

"That too." He chuckled. "But the terrarium comes first. I have all the necessary supplies. Then I PROMISE you can go to sleep."

I nodded. "Sounds like a plan."

I kept (L/N) on my shoulder to make sure I wouldn't lose them. Australia led me to the garage and he found a huge package, indicating that there was a big tank inside. This dude has a big tank laying around his house. At least we could carry it. He set up the heat lamp so (L/N) could sun bathe, and I helped decorated the inside with rocks, sand, dirt, moss, branches, small logs, you name it. If I were a lizard, this would definitely be high on my list for a vacation spot.

"We have water, and we can let (L/N) out to hunt for bugs or bring it to them." Australia told me. "For now, put them inside and see if they're comfortable in their environment. It's okay if they aren't comfortable right away, it might take some getting used to."

I gently placed (L/N) in the tank. They explored their environment. After a few minutes, they looked at me and I swear I saw it smile a bit.

I blinked. "I can't be the only one who saw that."

"Uh- I saw it too."