Chapter 19: Princess

Chapter 19:

After class 1's play, Rina excused herself and told Kageyama that she was briefly going to the restroom. She used that time to call her driver to pick her up from the school festival. She texted all her friends that she was going home because she felt ill but in reality, she didn't want to talk to Kageyama. Rina was already having trouble being around him, especially with Mizuki around. It was becoming more difficult to act as if everything was alright.

Meanwhile, inside the auditorium, Kageyama wondered why Rina was taking so long in the restroom. At the same time, Kunimi received a text from Rina saying that she was going home in order to avoid Kageyama.

"Kageyama," Kunimi stood up, looking at his old teammate, "Don't mess it up with Suzuki-san."

"Mess what up?" He retorted back.

"Figure it out." Kunimi shrugged as Kindaichi followed behind him. He stopped for a second and stared at Kageyama icily.

"She deserves better." He declared, leaving Kageyama alone with his thoughts.

Kageyama was missing something - he just couldn't figure out what it was. This entire month, Rina had been acting strange whenever the two of them were alone. However, when they were with their friends, she would act relatively normal. Was it him? Did he do something wrong? He sighed deeply as he sat back in his chair. Today was not his day.

~

The next day, Mizuki woke up earlier than usual. After what happened with Kageyama, she still felt guilty for not being able to return his feelings. She couldn't sleep well but luckily, Kei stayed on the call with her the whole night until she fell asleep. She checked her phone and quickly texted her friends on their group chat.

Mizuki: Good morning! Rina, are you feeling better?

Rina: Kind of :( Don't really want to go to the school festival today...

Mina: She's fine.

As soon as Mina texted her that, she also attached a photo of Rina currently swimming in their pool. Mizuki smiled, sitting up on her bed.

Mizuki: Early morning swimming? I'm jealous!

Rina: I'm being forced to attend the school festival, AGAINST MY WILL.

Mina: She volunteered to help clean up after the festival's over. She can't get out of it.

Mizuki: Good, because I missed seeing your faces!

Rina: We haven't had a proper hangout since our birthday! We need to ASAP.

Mizuki: Yes! I should also tell you guys that I talked to Kageyama yesterday about... you know...

Mina: You rejected him?

Mizuki: I did. I told him I didn't have feelings for him like that.

Mina: I still can't believe he confessed to you right in front of Tsukishima...

Mizuki: I told Kei to apologize to him for being so mean and he said he would so I hope everything goes back to normal soon.

Mina: I think it will.

Mizuki: Rina, sorry that Kageyama and I didn't work out as you wanted.

Mina: I don't think you have to worry about that Mizuki.

Mizuki: What do you mean? Rina? You there?

Rina: Yes, I'm here! Sorry! And... you rejected him?

Mizuki: Yeah... I think deep down I always knew I didn't have romantic feelings for him but I didn't say anything until now because I was scared of hurting him.