3 : Black-out Star

CHAPTER THREE
━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

CHAPTER THREE ━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

    The feeling of loneliness isn't one that Mae learned to grasp

    The feeling of loneliness isn't one that Mae learned to grasp. Even though she has been alone for most her childhood, been titled the aloof girl in elementary school— she was just alone, never lonely. Mainly because of her family. No one can ever quite understand what they are to her. Sure, she made a few friends here and there but the longest wouldn't be for more than a year.

     But Saturday morning the foreignness of the feeling washed over her like a tide. She stands in the dining hall, left hand on the table for support, her toes tracing the length of her other leg. She doesn't dare look at her father's sad eyes, guilt ridden and sympathetic. Not her mother's who stands next to her husband, head in her palm. Not even Sarah who stands in the far corner of the hall, arms folded as she rolls her eyes at her sister.

      "It's only a month, Mae. Please don't overreact." She speaks bravely, scoffing at the end. Maya widens her eyes at her older daughter, silencing her instantly. Sarah is still nonchalant as she narrows her fox-like eyes at her sister. Maya takes the next initiative, coming forward before clutching Mae's shoulders. The young girl still refuses to look up, chewing her lips aggressively.

     "Mae, honey." Maya calls. Mae still doesn't budge. "It's not that we intended for you to be alone. It's just bad timing. You know how sometimes our jobs can be overly important." She waits for Mae to reply but she still doesn't, and Maya isn't angry at her for that. Mae's reaction might be a little overdramatic but in the end, it isn't her fault. Maya has always felt guilty for stealing most of Mae's childhood, restricting her from going out of the house for most days, feeding her abysmal tasting medicines. Mae's reaction right now is just the consequence of that, of not having anyone else to rely on other than her family. Plus, it is the first time Mae would have to live without neither of her family members for more than twenty four hours.

      "Besides, it's not like you'll be alone. Gwen will keep you company. You two are close, right?"

     Mae finally looks up, teeth grinding the skin off her lips. "Yeah." Her voice is coarse.