- 8 5 - DANCE PARTNER

LORELEI HEARD FROM ANGELINA THAT ALICIA HAD ASKED GEORGE TO THE BALL

LORELEI HEARD FROM ANGELINA THAT ALICIA HAD ASKED GEORGE TO THE BALL. Alicia Spinnet had been walking on thin ice since last year, and Lorelei felt for a second that things were going fine for the pair.

George had been flirting with Lorelei all year. He was the sweetest boy she knew. Lorelei felt herself feel a bit saddened because even though she hadn't been happy about the ball, she had hoped George would pluck up the courage and ask her. Angelina saw the look of defeat on her face. Even Angelina thought George would have asked her by now.

Of course, she had been asked by a few Durmstrang boys and a few Beauxbatons boys. There were only two Hogwarts boys who had asked her. She had said no because she had been waiting on George.

Lorelei pushed the fact out of her head. She had to, or she would only be dejected even more.

Angelina scoffed. "You two have been dancing around each other since he met you, Lor! Almost six years! You stop waiting for him. Walk up to him, grab him by the nuts, and tell him he's taking you."

"I-I can't."

Angelina let out a loud scoff. "Bloody muppet."

Lorelei snorted as they walked into the Great Hall the last night before the holidays. Lorelei had been with Angelina that day to buy dresses. Hers was dark blue and Angelina's was a bright, sultry red. Lorelei smiled brightly at her best friend when they sat down. "Don't worry about me."

"You need a date!"

"Yes, shout it across the hall, why don't you," Lorelei drawled as the twins and Lee sat next to her. George didn't meet Lorelei's eyes, but Lorelei was not going to let it bother her.

Fred smirked at his brother's idiocy. "So, Lor, found a date in Hogsmeade today?" he asked, leaning to sort of yell it in George's ear.

"Nope. Going solo, Freddie," she said with a grin. George flinched at her words. He was an idiot. He knew it. She knew it. The whole fucking hall knew it.

When Alicia had walked up to him all excited, she pleaded with George to go with her. George didn't have the guts to say no. He was put on the spot with a few of Alicia's friends waiting behind her, and he felt like a prat to say no. He was an idiot. A massive idiot. He knew it.

Harry had walked inside the Great Hall with Ron and Hermione. As he sat near Lorelei's group, he overheard Angelina say, "You can't go solo, Lor! You just can't."

Lorelei sighed and ate silently for the rest of the dinner. She ignored her friends talking animatedly around her. She ignored George glancing at her over and over throughout the feast. She was aggravated. Immensely.

After dinner, she left her friends and walked ahead. It was nearing curfew, and she had to patrol that night with Roger.

"Lorelei! Wait!" she heard Harry calling. She sighed and waited for the boy to catch up to her. She smiled at him when he neared her. "This is weird--ah, would you go to the ball with me? Not like that... er, be my dance partner for McGonagall's approval, please? Well... er-- maybe this wasn't a good idea. I'm an idiot, sorry to bother yo--"

Lorelei stared at the boy with wide-eyes. "Y-You don't have a date?"

"No, I'm as awkward as anything. No girl wants to go with me," he said with a nervous laugh, scratching the back of his red neck.

She walked closer to him, ruffling his hair and pulling it slightly. "You need a haircut," she mumbled under her breath thoughtlessly. Smiling a bit, she said, "I'll go with you. We're both as awkward as they come." She let his hair go and walked off. She turned and winked at the boy. "I'm wearing a dark blue." With that, she went to meet up with Roger.

On the day of the Yule Ball, she was not as excited as the rest of the girls. Sure, she was a bit happier knowing she'd have a decent time with Harry, but she knew the boy fancied Cho Chang. He had told her one evening a few nights prior. She was sure he would mope most of the night, but she was no better. She probably would, too, for her own reasons.

She walked down to the Great Hall for breakfast, and she sat alone for some time. Brizo sat on the table eating out of Lorelei's plate as she looked at the Daily Prophet. Rubbish, she thought. All the lies about Harry and even Cedric (when they mentioned him at least) were just terrible.

Harry was in a panicked state when he found her that morning. He slid into the seat next to her and asked, "Do you know that dance? McGonagall would kill me if we mess it up." He was freaking out over the dance? Lorelei chuckled thinking of when they learned the dance, and she had danced with the twins and Lee dramatically to make McGonagall angry.

Lorelei snorted and nodded. Harry sighed in relief. Patting her back, he left to find Ron. Lorelei smiled at his retreating figure. He was more of a nervous wreck than she was sometimes.

She made it back to her dorm to find Angelina freaking out. "Oi, what's your problem?"

Angelina glared at her before muttering a spell at her own hair. "Fred says George has been moping all morning, the git. Now, Fred's worried we won't have a good time."

Lorelei snickered. "You will. It's Fred, come on. Ignore George if he becomes a menace. It's his own fault."

Lorelei pulled out her dress when she saw Alicia enter the room. Alicia smiled smugly at the mermaid. "Still going alone, Calypso?"

Angelina sent the mermaid a warning look. No one knew Lorelei was going with Harry. "No. I picked up a date, last minute, you know. Don't worry, I won't be around you tonight."

Alicia looked stunned like her whole plan was for the girl to go alone and be miserable.

"Who?" Angelina asked looking shocked as well.

"Er... you'll see when it's time," she said without giving away anything.

Alicia smirked again. "If you don't have a date, it's fine. I'm sure Fred, George, or Lee could spare you a pity dance."

Lorelei ignored the witch and walked over to Angelina. Smiling sweetly, she asked, "Do my makeup?"

Angelina grew excited and began to talk about all the things she would do to Lorelei's face. Lorelei didn't mind. She just wanted a distraction from the git getting dressed in the other corner of their dorm. After a while, Lorelei looked in the mirror to see Angelina's beautiful work. Her blue eyes sparkled and looked bigger and brighter with the eyeliner and mascara Angelina put.

She did her own her in waves going down her back. Her long hair that resembled Sirius Black was tamed for once. She smiled thinking of her uncle. She needed to write to him, she thought. Quickly scribbling a 'Happy Christmas' and 'I love and miss you' to her mother, godfather, uncle, and the Weasley parents, she would remember to send them that evening or the morning.

Knowing she was putting off for a while, she glanced at her dress Angelina had picked out. The dark blue off-the-shoulder dress was beautiful. It was not fitted like Angelina's red dress, but it extended out in beautiful waves. Lorelei smiled thinking about Harry asking her. She knew he was desperate, but the two were perfect for the odd dance, she thought.

Getting it over with, she began to strip and tug the dress on.