44

Calix was completely drained. He loved Kegan more than life, but he severely underestimated the difficulties and exhaustion surrounding an Omega's heat. Now he understood why Kai was so snappy and tired during Astra's heats, because he was experiencing the full symptoms with no warning or preparation.

They were nearing the end of it, meaning Kegan was more clear about what he wanted sex-wise, but he also claimed he was completely back to normal, despite the thick scent of heat surrounding him.

Calix had caught a rare moment alone, which was nice since he was exhausted, but he also felt anxious and wanted to be cuddling with Kegan. Yet, even in heat, his mate seemed to understand how tired he was and forced himself to brave the pain in order to allow Calix to shower alone and relax without it leading to sex.

He'd tried to do it earlier, but Calix just shuffled through his shower, coming back barely wet and eager to please his mate. Even though Jade screamed at him not to, Kegan pointed Calix back to the bathroom and told him he had to wait twenty minutes before he could come back out.

Calix was eagerly looking at the clock, willing time to move faster. Cold water trickled down his back, which he knew was covered in scratches and his neck covered in bite marks; Kai had warned him that Omega's wolves got possessive when they were allowed to take control, but he had severely underestimated it.

There were five minutes left on his "shower sentence" as he called it, making him squirm impatiently.

"Just go," Zakai ordered, angry that his mate forced him to be away. "You're the Alpha here. We can always fuck the attitude out of him."

"He asked us to take some time to relax and clean up a bit. He's being sweet," Calix shot back, though he was extremely tempted to obey Zakai. "We only have five minutes left on our timer."

"Time-out," Zakai sulked, pacing Calix's mind and willing him to go get their mate. "Want mate."

"Stop acting like a three year old," Calix scolded, making Zakai whimper and give him the silent treatment. "Look, there's four minutes left, we'll just go right now. I doubt he's actually counting."

Zakai agreed eagerly, urging Calix to move faster. He turned of the water and grabbed a towel, clumsily drying himself off. The towel was thrown away to the side and he grabbed the door handle to go back to his mate when a voice echoed in his head.

"You still have four minutes, you impatient child," Kegan scolded, making Calix groan.

"You're not allowed to use the mind link against me," Calix pouted, not at all caring that he sounded like an angry four year old. "My wolf wants you."

"Three minutes."

Calix snarled to himself, knowing that he wouldn't be getting anywhere with his mate. He paced the bathroom, glancing at the clock every few seconds as if he'd suddenly be done with his time, growing angrier and more annoyed when it didn't finish.

"It's my job to be with you right now!" Calix argued when he hit two minutes. "You're ruining my biological urges."

"You're such a dork," Kegan said, voice laced with fondness. "But my answer is still no. We need to have time to ourselves, even during heat, so that in case something ever happened during a heat that I can protect myself and withstand the separation."

"I wouldn't leave you during a heat!"

Kegan sighed, and Calix could tell he was flopping against his pillows, probably pinching the bridge of his nose in annoyance. "If there was a sudden battle, I wouldn't let you stay. My loyalty to this pack and its safety comes before my need to have sex for hours on end."