Part Twenty-Four

A/N: Well, it's short, more of a filler. Sorry guys :( I'll try to get the next part up soon, and get back to the actuall temple :) Thanksgiving break is coming up so I should have lots of time on my hands xD

- - -

Part Twenty-Four

His head was still spinning when he regained consciousness, probably even more so from the events that just played out in his mind. He squinted his eyes open, blinking rapidly to try to adjust his eyes to the seemingly blinding lights.

"Link? Can you hear me?"

He nodded slightly, though he didn't exactly know who was talking to him.

"Can you see me?"

He shook his head no.

"Can you move anything? Can you move you hand?"

He tried, but was only able to get his finger tips to twitch on his left hand, his right wasn't responding at all. He shook his head no again.

"Do you feel any pain?"

He nodded slightly.

"Where? Can you tell me?"

He wanted to say everywhere. It hurt everywhere. But when he tried to speak, he could barely move his lips, and all he managed was a hoarse whisper that didn't make any sense even to his own ears. He shook his head.

"It's the venom, Ire. It's numbing him, so he won't be able to move for a while without treatment."

"What can we do?"

There was a pause. "Red Elixir. It's the best thing for him that we can make in time to heal him before the venom spreads completely."

"Jay?"

"I'm on it."

The voice closest to him spoke up again. "Link? Just hang in there, okay? We'll get you out of this. Jayrend is getting you help, so you can get some rest, alright?"

At these words, the young hero let himself relax back into the abyss of darkness that held him hostage before, now welcoming it's embrace.

- - -

It seemed like only seconds before the living world was knocking on his door again, and he had to force himself back into alertness, knowing he still had so much to do and time was ticking.

"He's waking up, Vy."
"Hold on, the Elixir is almost ready." There was a short pause before the voice spoke again, quietly this time. "Iredean, will you hand me that red mushroom essence?"

It was odd to him, not being able to move or feel, relying only on his hearing. He didn't like the feeling that had settled in his stomach - the anxiety. He had so much to do and so little time, and he couldn't get up and do it, he couldn't do anything about it. It was almost agonizing.

"How long until the Deku Nut extract is ready?"

"Just another minute."

"And the Kokiri Fairy Dust?"

"I have it here."

He heard shuffling beside him, but didn't know what or who was moving around, or how close it was to him. His hearing was getting weaker by the second, and he was starting to feel even more nauseous than before. The only thing he could hear clearly anymore was an irregular thumping pounding in his ears.

"Vyrina." The voice was a whisper. "Vy, we're losing him. His pulse is getting weaker, and slower by the second."

He lost consciousness for a short instant before he came back even weaker than before. He hadn't expected to die here. Was this really the end for him?

He heard shouting but he couldn't make out any words.

His head started to spin. His ears only picked up a shrill, high pitched sound, and that irregular pounding again, but slower - quieter. He knew it now to be his heart beat. He was dieing.

All at once, the shrill noise faded to nothing, and then, in the momentary silence, he heard, with strong finality, the last soft thump throb through his ears, and then there was nothing. Not even a breath.