CHAPTER THREE

Three things to never joke with: a heart that beats for you. A hand that once helped you up. A memory that taught you a lesson.✅
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It all happened so fast. One minute he was there, the next he was out of the door. Eva stared at the space he had vacated for what seemed like ages, in reality it hadn't been more than three seconds. How could she forget the face of her tormentor. The man who had in a carrier level was the advocate of her very downfall. He dare come in here to taunt her and rub it right on her face what a loser she had become. Eva hated it. Two men rising from her past to haunt her anew. To drive her into madness. To complete what they had began. The turbulence they ignited to consume her. Only one for a relationship she was unfortunate to be involved with, and the other a man she had worked with.

Eva blinked back tears. She wasn't going to breakdown in front of all the witnesses looking at her as though she had suddenly sprouted a third eye.

Three more minutes and Eva was yet to regain her composure. They all made her uneasy. It all made her uncomfortable. She was at the brink of crumbling to the floor and weeping her anger out. Luckily a colleague of hers rushed in to resume her 2-9 shift for the week. Gladly, Eva handed over took an additional sick permission and left without sparing a glance towards Daniel. They should both drive to hell, Eva mused upon departing the premises. Still she felt the pressure of his intense eyes. She tried to picture the expression on his face when he saw her leaving. Disappointment? Excitement?

"Tomorrow would be better", Eva said to herself. "Why don't I find myself a good man..."

No way. You already know the end of it. Men aren't worth the stress. Besides you know where your fragile heart lies, a tiny voice at the back of her mind contributed.

Fragile? Of course not. Her strong heart is right within the strong barricade of her chest.

You can't fool no one, not even yourself, It repeated tersely as if annoyed she dared disagree.

Eva smirked. Rolled her eyes. In return, earned a vicious pounding of headache that roared so fiercely threatening to explode her skull.

Reaching home, Eva slumped on the bed grateful her sister was not at home because her situation would have been more complicated otherwise. They had always shared every of their secrets no matter how deep it happens to be with each other since they were kids. Five in number, but the two shared an unbreakable bond. Staying together when the rest lived in different states proved how solid their sisterhood grew to be. However for the first time in history, Eva did not feel like letting her on this one. She feared her reaction.

"You home earlier than expected."

Eva, jerked up from the bed. Her heart jumped violently. Taking in the form of Favour, at the doorway, she breathed a relief sigh. "You scared me."

"How did I scare you when I talked to you in the sitting room before you came in here."

"Oh, wow__"

"What troubles you?"

"Nothing to worry about. Caught a meniscal headache."

"Umm, funny." Favour turned the magazine she held.

"My predicament is funny to you?"

"No. I didn't mean that. The comparison. Have you taken any medication?"

"It subsided the moment I arrived home."

"Prepared yam and egg sauce."

"Had enough calories to last me the day."