Chapter 9: Will You Go To Prom With Me?

Tomorrow was the day. 

The air was electric. The atmosphere was fizzing with excitement, practically bursting at the seams. Prom was just around the corner. It was the buzz throughout the school. You couldn't go 2 minutes without the word coming up. It was everywhere.

'PROM IS IN 31 HOURS!' Zak screams, arms thrown up in the air enthusiastically as his eyes sparkle.

'Skeppy, you muffin, be quiet!' Bad complains, but this doesn't stop the younger from babbling excitedly.

The whole group was in the computer room again, discussing tomorrow's event. The chatter never ceased as everyone feeds on the thrill. Dream watches the conversation go on, grinning dumbly to himself, enjoying the positive vibes. His eyes land on one of his closest friend, and his smiles falters. George is sitting a little bit away from the rest of the group, staring out the window, totally out of it, deep in thought. Dream scoots his chair closer beside him, concerned.

'Hey, everything okay?'

His friend doesn't answer, not blinking. Dream waves a hand in front of him and George jumps, snapping out of it.

'Oh...' George's face flushes red. 'Sorry. What did you say?'

'You okay?' Worry is laced in the younger's tone. 

'Yeah, of course.'

Dream doesn't buy it for a second.

'What's up? Does it have something to do with prom tomorrow?'

George shrugs, staring out the window again. 'I'm fine. Just thinking.' 

Dream pulls his seat closer, looking out the window. It's a nice day. It's mid-March, so it's beginning to get brighter and warm. However, the greens outside were glistening with recent rain and the sunbeams make the water gleam. It was honestly really pretty, despite it being school grounds. Two girls were making their way back to building, talking and laughing with one another. 

He finally speaks up, not taking his eyes off of a passing bird. 'What you been thinking about?'

George is focused on the pair walking past, watching one of the girls give her friend a huge hug. 'Just... just life.'

'Ah. I see...'

George spots the girl grab the other's hand and pull her closer. He feels like he's watching something private and pulls his eyes away, looking at Dream, who has his attention on him.

'What's you life motto, Dream?'

Dream definitely wasn't expecting that. He clears his throat, buying himself some time as he racks his brain, searching for an answer. 'Uh, well, the one I usually think of is that... you're only a teenager once. Might as well live it to the fullest. Because you'll become an adult and those missed opportunities, they're... well, gone. Or, one day, we'll be gone suddenly. We can't control the uncontrollable, y'know?'

George nods slowly, letting it sink in.

'I guess... in summary, live life to fullest. Fuck everything. Yeah...' Dream smiles, proud of himself. 'That's my life motto. Does that count?'

'Whatever motivates you. Your life.'

'Fair.'

Silence reigns once more between the two. Sapnap shoots them a look but George quickly looks away, mouth dry. Dream gives him a reassuring glance before turning back to the British boy.

'Is there anything you want to talk about?'

George shrugs. 'I mean, uhm, I wish I could be happy right now. There's literally no reason for me to be unhappy. Yet, here I am, searching for reasons to blame for being sad.'

'Hey...' Dream puts a hand on top of George, who looks down at it with wide eyes. 'We're teenagers. It happens. We can't really help it. Instead of looking for something to blame, look for reasons to push it out. Sadness is just another way to appreciate the good times in life.'

'I- I guess you're right.'

George is still staring at Dream's hand on his. He has the urge to just hold it, but fights against it. Dream just watches him wordlessly.

Suddenly, there's a shriek and the two look around. Dream lifts his hand away and George oddly misses his warmth. He shakes the thought away before seeing what was going on. His eyes widen at the sight.

Spifey was on one knee, ring box in hand.

'What's going on?!'

Harvey claps his hands, jumping up and down. George and Dream joins the group. Zak, Sapnap and Finn are laughing hysterically. Bad is smiling, giggling like a maniac. Along with George and Dream, Techno and Zelkam were confused. Especially Zelkam. 

'Geo, what are you doing?!' he asks, chuckling in bewilderment.

Spifey just grins. 'Jacob, wanna go to prom with me?' and dramatically opens the ring box, revealing an onion ring. 

Everyone is laughing now. Zelkam rolls his eyes, pink-cheeked, taking the onion ring with an amused laugh. 'Sure, weirdo. But you're driving me there.'

They all chat now but Dream can't help glancing at George from time to time. George is doing his best to act like everything's okay but from the way he kept fidgeting, it was clear his mind was somewhere else.

The bell rings and they pack up. As usual, the trio meet up and walk to George's locker first. While they grow closer to the British male's locker, George feels many pairs of eyeballs looking his way, so he hides away, hunching his shoulders to make himself smaller than he already was, furtherly using Dream and Sapnap as his shield (all the while keeping a distance from the Texan boy). He fumbles to open his locker, rushing to get away, and flings it open. His jaw drops.

'Oh my God.'

Dream looks around. 'What?' He spots the white rose and the jewelry box and the sticky note. George picks up the rose. It's real. He feels a little blood trickle down his finger from a thorn but he doesn't feel any of the pain. He takes the sticky note in the other hand, shaking his head in disbelief but there's a small, sad smile on his face. He reads it out in a tone that breaks Sapnap's and Dream's heart.

' "Will you go to prom with me?" '

He gulps, continuing with a shaky laugh. It's almost painful.

'Smiley face.' :)

Chapter 9: 1,042

Total words: 9,165