Save water, shower together

Chapter eight: Save water, shower together (Nick's POV)

"You're just gonna sit in silence while I do this?" I asked in confusion. 

"We don't have anything to talk about," she shrugged nonchalantly. 

I sighed while running my fingers through her hair. Her phone rang in front of her and she answered it. "Hello?" she asked. "After breakfast?" she asked. I figured Zoey was telling her about the plans for tomorrow. We're going to Miami Seaquarium. "Yeah, that's fine," she nodded even though Zoey couldn't see her. 

I smirked to myself, "Babe, hurry!" I said loud enough for Zoey to hear. 

She froze and turned to me, glaring. If looks could kill, I'd be six feet under. "No, I'm not with anybody!" she groaned into the phone. 

"Emma!" I called out, laughing slightly. 

"No, no, no, that's not what it is!" she shrieked, "Zoey, I'm gonna call you back," she hung up with an exasperated sigh and turned to me. 

"I'll shut up," I laughed. She rolled her eyes while I sat up on my knees, running my hands through her hair one final time before leaning forward and grabbing the hair tie off her wrist. "Tie it in a bun, wait thirty minutes," I handed it to her. She stood up with a sigh and threw her hair up. "You don't have to thank me, but you're welcome," I sighed while rinsing my hands in the bathroom. 

"Thank you," she mumbled. 

"Keep it, you're gonna need it. I'm sure this isn't the last time we're going to the beach," I sighed while grabbing the towel that I took with me to the beach. 

"Are you leaving?" she asked, softly. 

"Do you want me to stay? We could save water, shower together?" I smirked while walking up to her, standing barely an inch away. 

She clicked her tongue in frustration and pushed me back, "Just go," she huffed while rolling her eyes at me. 

"Emma," I chuckled, leaning against the wall while throwing my towel over my shoulder. "I'm serious, we could save some water and shower together," I smirked. 

"Seriously Nick, just get out," she huffed and opened the door. 

"Give me a second," I closed it and leaned against it, looking at her. 

"You want a second just to stare at me?" she asked in confusion. 

"Yes, I haven't seen you in a month," I gave her a pointed look. 

"That was your decision. You could be seeing me every day of every week, but you chose not to," she shrugged. 

"I'm not the one that broke up with you," I sighed. 

"No, you just pushed me until I had to do it," she shrugged, "You cheated. Don't tell me you expected me to stay after that," she scoffed. 

"I didn't," I shook my head, "That was the whole point," I mumbled under my breath. 

"What?" she asked. 

"Nothing, I'll leave you alone," I nodded before pushing myself off the wall and heading out, going straight to my room. As soon as I closed my door, there was a knock. I opened it and she was standing right there. 

"Y-you um- you left your phone," she held it out for me to take. I didn't say anything, I just took it from her and tossed it onto the bed. "Okay then," she whispered to herself, "Goodnight." Her eyes met mine and I felt a shock surge through my body. 

"Goodnight," I said before closing the door. "Shit," I mumbled to myself while I went to shower. 

I promised myself not to feel anything for her again. I have to stay away from her. It took a lot to push her away the first time, I can't do it again. I'll just have to stay away from her. How hard can it be?