Epilogue

His POV

A few days after we had escaped the hunters, I called Alpha Jacob to detail him with everything I had seen. I had told Ashlyn most of what happened while I was being held captive, but there were certain details I needed to spare her from.

Those details being the surgeries.

The doctors who had cut me open were looking for something. I don't know what, but they didn't find it in me. After two surgeries, they never cut me open again.

Felix had told them that they cut into every different species they had. He didn't know what they were after though. All he knew was that the surgeons' main focus was on someone in the restricted unit.

Jacob tried to find any information on the prisoners in that wing, but the data Ash had stolen didn't hold any names. He sent a team to search the remains of the building, but all that was left was a pile of char and rubble.

The one good piece of news Jacob shared with me was that his son Aaron found his mate during the search around the burned down building. She was injured and has yet to wake up, but the healers say she's going to pull through. Neither Felix nor I recognized her, but that didn't mean she hadn't been a prisoner.

Looking up to see Ashlyn playing on the floor with Ella, I can't imagine the pain I would feel if she had been touched by the hunters. If she had been hurt, I don't know what I would do.

Feeling my eyes on her, she turns towards me and smiles. Even after being together for over a decade, her smile still feels like my own personal ray of light.

My Sunshine.

For the last few weeks, I never let my family out of my sight. My daughter was a bubbly happy baby, and my soul and I were in love. My family was safe and happy, and I promised myself that it would always stay this way.

"Are you going to join us?" Ashlyn laughs.

Finishing a quick text to my cousin Roman about a family dinner this week, I walk back into the family room, "Sorry," I sit down on the floor next to her and wrap my arm around her shoulder. Pulling her closer to me, I kiss the side of her head, "Roman wants to have the whole family over for dinner this week."

"That should be fun," she smiles, playing with Ella's toes as our daughter laughs, "Tell him we will definitely be there."

"I will," I kiss her jaw this time. She laughs as my small stubble moves against her skin. I move my mouth down her throat and over her shoulder before placing one last skin against the soul mark there.

My marking still amazes me every day I saw it on her skin. The bond which held our soul together. Even when we were apart, it couldn't be broken.

The heat and electricity of touching my soul rushed through my cells as I shifted closer to her. I never knew if I would feel this again. I thought I would be lost to her forever.

Feeling her palm against my face, Ashlyn lifted my face until our eyes met. Her eyes held a sadness as she leaned forward to kiss me softly.

I didn't say a word. I didn't need to. She knew exactly what I was feeling.

"You're here," she kisses me again, "We are together. Our daughter is here."

I nod at her words, "Our family is home."

We cuddle closer as we play with Ella. She smiles and laughs at everything. I want to freeze this moment and hold it in my heart forever.

"I never thanked you," Ash says softly. I give her a confused look before she continues, "You kept your promise. You came home to us."

"I had a little help with keeping it," leaning forward again, I kiss her, never wanting to break the connection, "I love you Sunshine."

"I love you too Phoenix. Always."

The End