Chapter 11

His POV

I growl lowly as the guard finish snapping the last of the locks into place. Visibly seeing the man flinch at my warning, he quickly exits the cell and slams the door into place.

"Let's get out of here," he tells the other guards, "I don't know what was in that serum the doctor was testing, but he seems more aggressive than usual."

I held in growling again as they left down the hall. I needed to hold in my anger. My anger was going to be my greatest strength in breaking the chains around my wrists.

As I try to calm my mind, I think about the phone call that ripped me away from my soul. The assignment I never should have taken.

*****

A Few Months Ago

"Where were the hunters last seen?" I ask into the phone. I hear the alpha tell me the coordinates and recount the report currently in front of me.

Writing the last information onto the paper, I say a quick goodbye to him and hang up the phone. I run my hand down my face as I try to figure out how to solve this new problem.

"Everything alright with the pack?" her voice draws my attention immediately. My eyes sweep her over before landing on her stomach. My heart still stops every time I think about my daughter, "Phoenix?" she tries again.

"Hunters were spotted in the territory," I say as I stand up from my desk and walk to her, "The alpha has asked me to join the trackers to see what they're doing here."

Fear spreads through the bond as she moves into my arms, "Can't someone else go?" she asks me, "You just got back from the negotiations with the River Pack. Why do you have to go looking for the hunters?"

"It's my job, Sunshine," I kiss her forehead, "I have to protect the pack and protect you."

"But who's job is it to protect you?" her voice cracks on the last word as tears pool in her eyes.

"Oh Sunshine," I wipe the lone tear that escaped down her cheek, "Nothing is going to happen to me."

"You can't promise me that," she says, looking down to place her hands over her stomach, "You can't promise us that."

I tip her chin up to meet my eyes before I weave my hand into her brown curls. Laying my other hand over our daughter, I smile softly at my soul, "You're right. I can't promise nothing bad will ever happen to me, but I can promise you that I will always come home to you," I kiss her, sealing the promise, "Always."

*****

"First time up to the R&D lab?" a voice across from me asks. Looking up, I see a small guy suspended by his ankles to the ceiling. He looks no more than sixteen with a slim frame and mop of red hair currently dusting the ground.

My first instinct is to ignore him, but then her voice enters my mind, If you had more friends, maybe they wouldn't all try to kill you.

I needed allies.

"Yes," I tell him, more voice gravelly from nonuse.

"You got lucky. The scientist who used to run the place usually sent subjects back in a body bag after testing out one of his new toys," he tells me, "Since the new girl took over a month ago, being taken to R&D seems like the only safe place in the building."

"She's been here a month?" I growl out my question. How did this happen?

"Yeah, Dr. Keene's research is in trying to sedate our supernatural genes or animals," he tells me, "Honestly, she is doing a crappy job. Every time I get dosed up, I feel my connection to my wolf get stronger, not weaker."

I nod in understanding as I take in the information. That's why I was getting stronger and how my body was healing. Her serum was counteracting the drugs they were putting in our food.

"So, um-" I pause, not knowing his name.

"Felix."

"How long have you been here, Felix?"

"Maybe a year," he says, "It's kind of hard to keep track."

"So you know your way around pretty well, right?"

"That I do," he gives me a Chesire smile from his upside-down position, "I've played guinea pig for almost every scientist in this place."

"Good. We're getting out of here."

"How?"

"You'll see," I say. Feeling my muscles flex and push against the chains, I grin back at him, "Get ready. We leave in two hours."