Chapter III

"Why are you not tired of staring at yourself in the mirror? Nothing's going to change. You're ugly..." Merida told her reflection.

She sighed at herself, her face clouded in sadness. Then she turned around to walk towards the door, slouching as she gets down the stairs.

"Oh my! I never knew I had a hunchback daughter," her mom commented at her slouching.

Merida rolled her eyes and took a seat, facepalmed at the table and that's when her mother worries a lot.

"Did you have a bad day yesterday?" Her mother asked.

"Every day is a bad day when you're ugly, mom."

Beth couldn't say anything. Her daughter was never ugly to her. She did everything to make Merida feel confident and beautiful but ... her daughter is declining the help. Sometimes it gets her thinking if she ever was a bad mother for not raising her child confidently beautiful in her self.

"Meri—"

*ding dong*

Beth was cut off from what she was going to say when she heard the doorbell. Maybe it's the milk she ordered.

"I'll be back."

Beth went to get the door and when she opened it, she was shocked to see someone who she hasn't seen around. A young boy.

"Uh hi... I'm sorry if I came by too early. I'm Jacob by the way. I'm here for... Merida," he said with a nervous look.

Beth examined him. This boy is handsome and did he just say...

"I'm Beth, Merida's mother," she introduced herself and smiled. "You should come in. She's eating breakfast at the moment. Have you had breakfast?"

Beth opened the door wider for Jacob to come in. She led him to the living room and let him sit down.

Merida felt like her mom was talking to someone and so after washing her dishes she checked it out.

"Mom are you—Holy muffin! Why are you here?" She screamed surprise at the sight of Jacob with her mom.

Jacob beamed at her and replied, "Good morning to you!"

Merida glared at Jacob and then to her mom.

"Mom! You can't just let anybody in just cause they said they knew me!" Merida yelled at her mom. She doesn't want to see Jacob.

"Is he a bad guy?" Beth asked.

"Ugh! Whatever," Merida is annoyed at her mom for letting Jacob come in. She rolled her eyes at them and walk out of the house.

Now Jacob thinks she was being rude to her mother. "I'm sorry you two fought because of me. It was nice to know you Mrs Hollyn but I got to catch up with your daughter. Thanks again."

After saying that, Jacob rushed out the door and catch up to Merida.

"How could you be so rude to your mother?" Jacob asked her as they both walk fast.

Merida ignored him as if he was just the wind blowing. Jacob, on the other hand, wasn't liking it.

"You're ugly!"

That stopped Merida from walking. Her breath heaved and she glowered at him. "I KNOW I'M UGLY!"

"Yeah! The way you are acting right now is ugly!" Jacob bawled.

Merida scoffed. "Just leave me alone! Mind your own business!"

After shouting that, she walks fast again but Jacob didn't follow. It made him upset. Why is she acting like that towards him? Can't she see I'm trying? Jacob asked himself.

He released a heavy breath after thinking about it. What's gotten into him for trying to befriend someone like Merida? She doesn't try herself too.

•••

Merida can't stop thinking about how she acted. She faced palmed and felt frustrated. Someone was actually trying to make her feel good aside from her mom but... he might just be participating in a bet or just trying to be friends with her and then hurt her. That's all Merida could think of.

While in the hallway, she spaced out and was thinking about that, she bumped into or was intently bumped by one of the mean girls.

"Watch it ugly!" Candice, the meanest girl in school angrily shouted and threw her a dirty look.

"I'm-I'm sorry. I didn't me–mean to," she stuttered, apologizing as she bows down her head. She was sure she was going to get beaten up.

"Sorry? You're sorry? Pick up my damn papers!" Candice commanded.

Merida immediately gathers up Candice's things that fell. Another scene where everyone will talk about her stupidity and ugliness. After picking them all up, Merida stood up and handed the things to Candice. Only the mean girl slapped Merida with the papers.

Everyone was at shock as well as Merida. Then Candice cornered her to the wall and laughed which everyone followed. Merida couldn't help but cry and not fight back. Because she believes that fighting back will only worsen the situation.

"You're not just ugly! You're stupid as fuck too!"

Candice's arm raised and that's when Merida knew she was going to get hit. The mean girl's fist was in the air and she closed her eyes.

"Yo! What do you think you're doing?" They heard someone asked.