Chapter 12: Busted!

After the boys escaped the police, they arrived back at Miller South.

"So, is that what you guys do every night?" Mason asked.

"Not all the time, " said Sam. "Sometimes we're at Comedy Night, and other times we do whatever we like."

"Cool, " Finn said.

"Still, you could at least-"

Mason stopped to see Lexi and the others by the gates of the parking lot...and he can tell she was not happy.

"Well, lookie here. If it isn't the world's fattest cow, " Sam taunted. "What's wrong? Your milk went sour again?"

"Are you sure you're not mistaking me for your grandma, Sam?"

Ray and the others chucked at the snarky comment.

"Whatever. See ya, Scott." Sam said to Mason. Him and Ray boarded their motorcycles and pulled off, but not before Sam said: "Later, Bessie!" Lexi stuck her tongue out as Sam and Ray drive away.

"So, " Lexi began. "I see you two enjoyed yourselves tonight."

"Lexi, I didn't want to go, but Mason kept urging me, " Finn lied.

"Finn..." Mason groaned.

"He said that we were gonna watch the school."

"Finn!"

"Okay, it was my idea. But at least no one got hurt...so far?"

"Can you guys go inside? I need to speak with the 'new protector.' " Lexi hissed.

The eighth graders started to walk back inside the school. Finn stopped to say to Mason: "Mason. Whatever happens, I...I promise I won't forget you."

"Finn, let's go, " Bree said, pulling him away.

"Lexi, I know you're mad, but I couldn't help it. Besides, the school's safe, " said Mason.

"For now, but what if it wasn't?" Lexi asked.

"What is the deal?"

"The deal is that you are supposed to watch the school. Not fool around with Finn. If you do this again, the zombies will try to take advantage of you. They may be the living dead, but they are smart. They can sense a weakness. "

"You think I wanted to do this? I never wanted to become protector. I was just being myself. I'm not the one who made Calia hate this school, " Mason said while putting up the motorcycle. Lexi followed behind him.

"Are you saying that the zombies attacking me was my fault?"

"No. What I'm saying is Calia didn't hate you, I would've continued with my life and you wouldn't have your lazy butt in that wheelchair."

Suddenly, Lexi frowned at his comment and Mason caught himself.

"Wait, that came out wrong, " Mason stuttered. "Um...y-you see...what I meant was-"

"Well, excuse me, Mr. 'flying broom inventor.' Mr. 'king of torture.' Mr. 'I'm the cool, big shot, tough guy wannabe.' Let's see if my 'lazy butt' would come and save you when the zombies eat you alive!"

With a huff, Lexi rolls her wheelchair back into the school, leaving Mason outside, regretting. Later, Mason met up with Finn and the others in the auditorium.

"So, how did it go?" Finn asked.

"Let's just say never use the term "lazy butt" when talking to someone in a wheelchair."