23: Roommates

"Who were the people who attacked us that night?" Hiko asked Tenzin, while eating his Fruit pie. Everyone had just finished dinner, Hiko had just gotten out of his room because he didn't want to see Jinora. Seeing her with Kai made Hiko feel small.

"Lord Zuko actually called me to tell me that Zaheer and his friends have escaped."

"Who are they and why did they attack us?"

"They are members of the Red Lotus." Tenzin sipped on his tea.Hiko's eyes widened at the mention of the Red Lotus. They were the people who killed his father. Until now, he did not know why.

"They wanted Korra." Hiko muttered, his eyes looking down at his feet.

"Why do you know about the Red Lotus? At the party, you knew they were after Korra." Tenzin had been meaning to ask Hiko about this but never got to.

"They were the people who killed my father. I don't know why."

"I'm sorry, I'm sure you're father would be proud of you for what you're doing right now." Tenzin comforted Hiko, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks, I should get to sleep. Big day tomorrow." Hiko stood up and bowed to Tenzin. Tomorrow they would arrive at Ba Sing Se. Hiko wasn't too enthusiatic about it, but it would be cool to finally get out of the airship.

Hiko lay down on his bed, staring at the ceiling emptily. He thought about what Tenzin said, 'your father would be proud of you.' somehow he doubted that. He hasn't really accomplished anything proud-worthy. Sure, he teaches the Avatar but it's not like she really needs it. He could have achieved something by now if he had accepted joining his Father's clan. But that was years ago, he knew nothing could be done.

Hiko was staring out the window of the airship taking in the view of Ba Sing Se's outer wall. Looking down at the outer ring he sees the slums, an area for the poor of Ba Sing Se. It disgusted Hiko how the Earth Queen would let her people live in such conditions. Finally passing the middle ring they approach the Royal Palace, everyone who was looking out the windows looked excited.

"This is more like it!" Kai exclaimed, Hiko gave a glance at Kai who was sharing his excitement with Jinora who Hiko still hasn't talked to since Korra's training.

They went out to the open, Hiko finally breathing in the fresh air he had longed for. Being cooped up in that tiny room made him restless. He extended both of his arms to his side releasing Lightning from each fingertip.

"Now that's more like it." Hiko stretched his back and groaned.

"Hey! No loud noises inside the palace!" A hunched over old man trudged to Hiko.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Hiko bowed to the old man.

"Oh! Avatar Korra, Master Tenzin it is a pleasure to welcome you and your party to the upper ring of Ba Sing Se. I'm grand secratariat Gun." Gun bowed deeply. "Come with me, I'll take you to your quarters." Gun lead them toward the palace.

Kai was still talking to Jinora to Hiko's disdain. He had no problem with Jinora talking to Kai, he just didn't like hearing Kai's voice. Hiko wanted to walk past them but at the same tine he didn't want to. He wanted to hear what Kai was telling Jinora. Was he swooning her with sweet words? Or insulting her? Either would make Hiko have the urge to punch Kai. At that matter just seeing Kai made Hiko want to punch him.

"You know I actually beat 5 people who were attempting to steal from me. Boy did they go running to the sheriff after that." Kai bragged tactlessly, to which Hiko made a disgusted face.

Finally reaching the House, Gun showed them to their rooms. He each gave them a room but to Hiko's surprise he stopped at the last room with Kai. Hiko looked from the door to Gun to Kai.

"Don't tell me."

"I'm sorry, the house doesn't have enough rooms for the two of you to sleep in seperate rooms, you'll have to share this one." Gun opened the door to reveal a room with a single King-sized bed. Kai shrugged and walked into the room. "Beats sleeping on some hay."

Gun scurried off, leaving Hiko frozen at the doorway. He'll be sharing a room with Kai. Breathing out slowly he walked into the room, with low hopes of anything.