conversations

That didn't feel right.

But neither did Keefe.

And neither did Fitz.

And... and....

"I'm not ready for this," Sophie told herself, looking up into the mirror.

"Ready for what?" 

Sophie tripped over her own feet as she jumped back in surprise, repressing a sigh as she recognized the voice of Vertina and the fake girl programmed into the mirror popped up in the corner.

"Don't you back away," Vertina warned as Sophie began to step out of range.  "Please. You barely look at yourself in the mirror anymore! Nobody to talk to- to girl talk to, at least.  And it actually looks like you're having some drama!"

"That's... not a good thing," Sophie mumbled, pulling out an eyelash.  "It's just.. boy stuff."

Vertina raised an eyebrow. "That's my favorite kind of 'stuff'. Hit me with it- I've had tons of practice."

"You've dated other weird people programmed into mirrors?!"

"Um.. no?" Vertina sounded a little wistful. "I mean with Jolie- and when you say 'dating', do you mean that you're..."

"No!" Sophie said way to quickly.  "I mean... umm... I'm trying to... decide."

"Why the rush?" 

"Because of Ro's bet- challenging the boys to confess their feelings or whatever."

"Who's Ro?" Vertina cracked a smile as she added, "I'm liking this elf."

"Not an elf," Sophie corrected. "Ogre. But just as annoying as you can be, so zip it.  And.. I might've hesitated just a moment too long before confessing to one boy I thought I liked, so I thought I liked the other and..."

"Names," Vertina said.  "I have no idea what you're saying."

Sophie sighed. "There's Keefe. And then there's Fitz."

"Ah. I remember. Carry on, then."

Sophie glared at her, but reluctantly continued.  "And.. now neither will probably speak to me because it'll be super awkward with Keefe, and then surely Fitz will know, and then..."

"But the bet's over, right?" Vertina pointed out.  "Somebody- yes, Keefe, I know -already confessed so..."

"I'm pretty sure the point of Ro's bet was what came after it," Sophie countered.  "And now I'm regretting hesitating in the first place-"

"AHA!" Vertina shouted loudly.  "Regret.  That's a good place to start. Why?"

"What are you, my therapist?" Sophie muttered, glaring at the programmed girl again. "Because.. I mean I like Keefe, maybe a little more but it's clear that.. if I hesitated, surely that's a sign that he's not right for me?"

"Not necessarily," Vertina admitted. "That could just be reflexes kicking in."

"Yeah, totally," Sophie said, frowning.  "Look- thanks a lot. I... actually might come back to talk.  But I'm going to go.. eat dinner."

"Totally," Vertina deadpanned, but she looked a lot brighter that she'd finally got the chance to have "girl talk" as she called it.

And Sophie was left to wonder.

Was it Take 1 for Fitzphie...

Or Take 2 for Sokeefe?