Chapter 9

Alyson woke up the next day with the lack of warmth next to her. She rubbed her eyes and sat up.

"Hayden?" Alyson called out softly. No reply, she yawned softly as she scanned the room and saw a note on the bedside table. She reaches for it and barely grasped it from where she sat.

___________

Went on a grocery store run with Aunt Sarah. She insisted on having your favourite dinner tonight. So she dragged me along. I know pasta is your favourite types of food. I think I remember you mentioning that you really like baked chicken alfredo. 

I left the box of your dad's letters next to this letter. I figured it'll give you something to do while on bed rest. Hopefully, I won't be gone for too long, but knowing Aunt Sarah we'll be gone a while. If you need help with anything call Dad through the link. But if something major you'll have to call me on the phone. Our mind link won't go far enough to get to me.

Love you,

Hayden

________

Alyson smiled to herself. He was so sweet when he wanted to be. Chicken alfredo wasn't really her favourite but she wasn't about to tell him that. He sounded so sure. She didn't dislike it though and could grow to love it.

Alyson then scooted to grab the box of her dad's letters that she missed at first. She'd been so busy that she hadn't had the chance to read over them since she got here. She picked up the next one in the order it read,

________

My dearest Daughter,

Happy Fourth Birthday! I can't believe you four years old already! You've grown so much already. I bet you're already able to read. You were a bright kid when you were younger. Did you know you started walking when you were only 8 months old and could run around when you were 10 months old? And your mouth would be running as fast as your little feet were.

I hope your parents are investing in that great mind of yours. You would always look around at the world and observe everything. Your little blue eyes would never stay on one thing for too long. I know you're going to grow up to become the smartest kid in your class.

Hopefully, you take more after me than that witch of your mother. I doubt she'll even tell you about me. But no worries about that Happy birthday my sweet girl. I hope you're surrounded by as much love as possible and that this letter didn't reach you too late.

-Dad

_____

Alyson smiled softly to herself Matthew really did want to be part of her life. There are at least 100 or more letters in this box. That's about 5 letters a year. All this time how had she never noticed all these letters from him in the mail? Did mom have them held at the post office or something? How had she missed these letters?

She picked up the next envelope and opened it,

_____

"It's been so long since I've written to you. I wonder how much taller you are now. How big you've gotten. What that wild blonde hair looks like. Is it wild like mine when I let it grow out too long? Or has it's lost its curl?"

Alyson paused and touched her lush curls.

"If you could only see," Alyson said laughing lightly. Then Alyson got an idea. She couldn't write back to him back then but she could now. Alyson grabbed some pen and paper and started answering back to his letters as she read them. Making sure to include details she was told about then and memories she made. She'd give him these answers when they met. Her first letter read