Chapter 37

"So," I say "Where are we going?" I ask the group.

"We'll probably hang out around the compound somewhere. Don't know though yet" The girl says, handing around a metal flask.

She tries to hand it to me but I reject it and say "I don't drink, thanks"

"Aren't you Marcus Eaton's kid?" The girl asks

"Yes, why?" I say

"Nothin' I'm just asking. This is Dauntless, isn't it? Don't you want to fit in?" The girl says, trying to hand me the flask again.

"I don't drink." I say straight up "and I don't have to get drunk in order to find a place here," I say looking her in the eye.

She glares at me but I keep my stare. After a few moments of silence, she says "Fine. Suit yourself kid" she says getting up "Funny how the daughter of an Alcoholic won't even take a sip"

"Look where it got him," I say.

She ignores me and says "Let's hang out at the pit"

Everyone gets up, and Jake, Katherine, and I glance at each other. Both of them have worried looks on their faces.

We all walk to the pit, and Tobias and his friends are already sitting there. Tobias sees me and we nod at each other before I go to where the group is.

I sit down and I see the girl from earlier looking over at Tobias is with everyone.

"Four's kinda cute, huh," The girl says

I try my hardest to keep my face straight.

"Don't you think so, Rose?" She says

"Uhh no, no I don't think so," I say quickly

"Oh please, you're telling me you've never liked him. Even for a second?" She says

"That's exactly what I'm saying," I say, smiling to not make it seem too serious

I see Jake and Katherine, smiling, trying to hold in laughs.

"Well I don't believe you," Another girl says smiling, drinking from the flask. She seems nicer, I think her name was Caitlin.

"Ah well," I say looking down trying to hold in my laugh "He's my brother"

"What?" The girl from earlier says "Are you joking?"

"Nope," I say

"Prove it," She says

I wave over to Tobias and when he sees me I wave for him to come over. He walks over and says "What's up?" Putting an arm across my shoulders

"Guys this is my brother," I tell them.

"Is Rose really your sister, Four?" The girl asks

"Yes, she is. Why?" Tobias says. It's obvious he doesn't like this group of people. Especially the girl he's talking to.

"Just proving a point," I say to him

"Okay then," Tobias says "I'll be over there if you need me". He walks back to his friends, and we continue our conversation.

"Wait, so that means he's also the son of Marcus," The girl says

"Mhm," I say

"You two were abused, right?" Caitlin asks

"Yup," I say quickly

"Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up" Caitlin says

"You're fine," I tell her