𝘼 𝘾𝙤𝙡𝙙 𝘾𝙖𝙨𝙚 𝙍𝙚𝙤𝙥𝙚𝙣𝙚𝙙

November 15, 1993

The next morning Aster was still very much feeling the effects of yesterday's healing marathon. All she wanted to do was curl up and go back to sleep, but she already slept through breakfast. And she didn't want Snape to come up to the Gryffindor Tower to check on her. Shortly after their truce, Aster noticed Snape was taking a personal interest in her health. If she didn't eat enough at breakfast, the eagle-eyed man would give her that narrow-eyed look that promised unreasonable loss of point in potions class. Once, he even threw a nasty little scourgify on Aster as they passed each other in the halls. Apparently, she had missed a smudge after cleaning up from Herbology. It was really strange, and Aster couldn't predict when the next urge would hit her teacher.

"It's like I'm an honorary Slytherin or something," she grumbled as he rolled out of bed. If she wanted to make it to lunch on time, she'd better hurry.

Even though it was lunchtime, owls were flying in and out of the Great Hall. Dishes were pushed aside so students could write letters to their frightened parents, reassuring them that they were okay. As Aster strode in, she nodded briefly to the three 7th years, who helped out in the infirmary last night. Like her, they also looked like they just rolled out of bed. All three of them looked at her in surprise before returning the nod. Most of the Head table was empty, including Snape, who was probably brewing something or checking up on the injured students. 34 students were still a lot for just Madam Pomfrey to handle alone.

"Can I borrow Hedwig?" Hermione asked just as Aster sat down. She and Ron were also busy writing letters. "I think all the school owls are going to be used up."

For a moment, Aster felt a pang of sadness for not having anyone to write home to, or at least no one that would care. It irritated her that she would just assume she didn't need Hedwig today, which she actually did, but she supposed if she had to soothe a frantic parent in another country, she'd be kind of insensitive too. So, Aster nodded. "Sure, 'Mione. I'll just floo to Professor Tonk's after lunch."

"Oh, come on!" Ron protested. "You're not thinking of going to your lessons, are you?" he asked incredulously. "Even Professor McGonagall doesn't expect you to attend your lessons today."

"Actually, Professor Snape wrote me a letter excusing my absence," Aster said as she began eating, cutting into a very appetizing looking frittata. "But that's not the reason why I need to see her."

At this, Hermione looked up from what looked like an epic length letter. "You've been awfully secretive lately," she said with a critical look.

"What do you mean?" Aster asked. She was curious where this had come from.

Hermione shrugged. "I don't know. It's just we haven't seen much of you lately. At least never for long before breakfast and never long before curfew. We don't even see you at lunch anymore."

"Yeah, what have you been getting up to?" Ron asked, stuffing his mouth with some kind of meat.

Aster cringed, wondering what Andromeda would say to that, since they just started lessons on table manners. "Well, all three of us have vastly different schedules," she answered slowly, not liking the curious looks on her friends' faces. "In fact, I'd say Hermione's been rather scarce around here too. With your class load, you have to be taking weekend classes or something."

"I have the Headmaster's approval," Hermione replied defensively. "Besides, we're not talking about me. We're talking about how different you seem after summer. Did something happen to you over the break?"

"Yeah, you're turning into a...a Slythiclaw or Raverin or something," Ron added. Hermione and Aster both stared at him.

"What?!" he asked around a mouthful of eggs.