| Thirty-two

EMERY AND May walk into school, heading to their lockers. Emery hesitates to tell May about Harven and her, not knowing how to describe it.

"May, I need to tell you something." Emery cringes at herself.

May rummages through her locker. "You and Harven are actually dating?" She asks.

"Wait, how did you-"

"Oh my gosh, I'm right!" May laughs, and Emery confusedly chuckles.

"Well, that's it...yeah." Emery says. She thought it would have been way more difficult than that. May turns to her friends, smiling widely.

"I mean I'm not surprised, I've been shipping it since we were children." May shrugs.

"May!" Emery laughs at her blunt friend. May even grins at herself.

"But, how's it been going so far?" She leans against the lockers.

"Um, good. He's still Harven, but like a puppy dog version." Emery looks off, laughing. May quirks an eyebrow at the sight. Emery comes back to their conversation, blushing in embarrassment.

"I actually at pickles this weekend." Emery winces.

"That can't be true, you're still alive. Remember last time?" May widens her eyes. Emery nods painfully.

"Yeah, I literally almost died. Again." Emery shakes her head.

Harven comes up behind her, and May sees him before Emery does. May smirks knowingly.

"This is my cue." She backs up.

Before she leaves, she shouts out to Harven, "You sly bastard!" And laughs as she makes her way down the hall.

He pecks Emery's pink cheek lightly.

Emery smiles, looking up at him.

"Do you have everything for class?" Emery asks him, getting the last of what she needs from her locker. He watches her contentedly.

"Yes, mom, I have everything." He rolls his eyes. She huffs and shakes her head. When the bell rings, she grabs his hand, dragging him down the hall.

They walk by an indent in the wall, and Emery pulls him inside. She goes on her tip toes to be closer to his face.

"Mom, huh?" She narrows her eyes. He looks surprised but curious.

"Yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" He smirks.

"Well, I hadn't thought that far." She groans.

"I have." He grabs her face, connecting their lips passionately. Their tongues fight for the first time, until Emery gives in. His hands get tangled in her hair, and hers stay at his waist.

Emery curves into Harven's form, wanting to be closer by instinct. They break, breathing heavily. Emery takes a deep breath, widening her eyes.

"Harven, fix my hair!" She says, exasperated, remembering that class started like ten minutes ago. He smiles, amused, and pats down her disheveled hair.

She hurries down the hall, trying to get to first period without detention, leaving Harven laughing without any regrets.

______________

Emery watches TV on her couch, when a knock come from her door. She gets up from the couch, and when she opens the door, she's surprised to see Kade.

He smiles at her, and she steps out. They walk over to the bench and sit together. She breathes.

"We need to talk." She looks at her feet.

"About?"

"Us."

Kade breaks into a smile, grabbing her hand.

"I was thinking the same thing." He says.

Emery bites her lip, and takes her hand away.

"No, Kade. We can't be together." She shakes her head. Emery can't help but feel horrible for letting him start to like her.

"Why do you mean? I thought..." He looks at her confusedly.

"I did really like you, Kade, I won't lie. But things changed." She winces. He realizes, nodding once.

"Harven?" He asks.

She parts her lips, flabbergasted that everybody already knows before she tells them. It wasn't that obvious, right?

"Well, yes, but I'm hoping can we still be friends?" She softens her eyes at him. He opens his mouth, then closes it again.

Then he smiles lightly. "Of course." He says.

She sighs, relieved, and smiles up at the boy. She thinks about the time he was kind and considerate, and can't think of letting a friend like him go.

"Thank you." She embrace him, and he wraps his arms around her. She waves as he goes, glad to be on steady ground with him.

As soon as she sits on her couch, the bell rings again, and she groans.

This time, it opens to reveal a serious looking Harven.

"What was he doing here?" He asks, furrowing his brows.

Emery laughs. "We were just agreeing to be friends." Emery shrugs. He nods slowly.

"Why did you hug him?"

"Because that's what friends do, you loon." She rolls her eyes at him, smiling playfully, leaning against the door.

He smirks. "You look really cute." Harven looks her up and down.

"Did you come here just to make me blush?" She huffs.

"Precisely." He grins. Emery pushes him out, and closes the door.

"Hey!" He yells from the other side. When she turns around, her mom is there with her hand on her hip, grinning.

"Boys." They say at the same time, shaking their heads.