Mr. Right? | 19

KAIRO

"We should have known," Ethan mumbled under his breath as he not-so-subtly stared at Alexandria and Barbara who were seated together a couple rows ahead of us. "I feel stupid for not having called it sooner."

"That's because you didn't know she would do something like that," I responded, not even bothering to look at them. Ethan nodded in response and glanced over at me in concern, "You okay? You look like you didn't get a wink of sleep."

"That's because I didn't," I stated bluntly. "And it wasn't because of trigonometry this time." Ethan attempted to respond, however I spotted Alexander walking into the room and I immediately stood up, "I'll go sit with Alex. I need to get my mind off of what happened, even if the only way to do so is by studying trigonometry."

"Alright, go ahead. Try not to think about what happened too much, I'm sure you'll find someone better than Alexandria," he reassured with a small grin.

"I'm  not upset about her cheating on Hailey with Alexandria. I'm upset because Barbara was supposed to be my friend," I confessed before beginning to walk towards where Alexander was seated with his earphones plugged into his ears.

I took my seat beside him with a heavy sigh and placed the textbook on the desk before giving him a blank look so he could go ahead and teach me. He glanced over at me before pulling his earphones out and setting them aside on the desk, "Which question are you having trouble solving?"

"Everything," I replied with a shrug, not bothering to look at him.

He nodded without questioning me any further and opened the textbook. He skimmed through the pages for a few minutes before settling with a basic question. He pointed it out to me and began, "Try solving this."

I slid the book over to my side absentmindedly and grabbed a pencil before beginning to write down the steps to solving the equation. A few seconds after I'd begun to do so, Alexander cleared his throat, "You're holding the pencil the wrong way."

"Huh?" I began before realizing that I was writing with the eraser-end of the pencil. "Oh, shit," I cursed, facepalming inwardly before switching to the lead-end. I proceeded to solve the equation, and when I was done, I slid the book over to him. He examined my answer for a minute or two before letting out a sigh, "Kairo, you know we're doing trigonometry, right?"

"Yeah?" I stated stupidly.

"Then why is your answer 'mitochondria'?"

Before I could respond, he shut the textbook and turned to face me with his arms crossed, "Alright. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I lied through gritted teeth, refusing to make eye-contact with him.

"Don't lie to me. You didn't ask me if you could listen to music with me, you legit tried to use the eraser of a pencil to write and you're applying Biology in Mathematics. What's bothering you?"

Shit, he noticed. I mean, anyone would have. I wasn't being very subtle at trying to hide it, was I?

"Nothing," I said once again.

"Lies," he insisted. "Look me in the eye and tell me nothing's wrong."

I finally let out a huff of defeat and looked up at him, "Okay. Everything's wrong. I just found out that my best friend cheated on her girlfriend with my crush and I don't even know how to respond or behave now. On top of that, I suck at trigonometry and I feel like a stupid little bitch every single time I try to solve an equation because I can't fucking get it. What's even worse is my cat left me on my sixteenth birthday and I haven't seen him since, what the fuck do I do?"

He blinked in surprise before scooting his chair a little closer to me, "I don't know what to say that would make you feel better, so would you like a hug instead?"

I let out a sigh of relief after what felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and nodded stupidly. He instantly wrapped his arms around me and engulfed me in a warm hug. I instinctively wrapped my arms around him as well with a satisfied grin.

And I thought he was the one who had trouble keeping his emotions to himself.