- 9 1 - PADFOOT

THE ROCKY MOUNTAINSIDE OF HOGSMEADE WAS QUITE THE HIKE FOR THE FOUR GRYFFINDORS AS THEY FOLLOWED A SHAGGY BLACK DOG

THE ROCKY MOUNTAINSIDE OF HOGSMEADE WAS QUITE THE HIKE FOR THE FOUR GRYFFINDORS AS THEY FOLLOWED A SHAGGY BLACK DOG. Lorelei grunted as she pulled herself up to another rock. She snarled out, "I shouldn't have to work this hard to see my uncle," to which Sirius only barked happily.

When they made it to a narrow fissure in the rock formation, they squeezed into what was now known as a small dimly-lit cave. Buckbeak was sitting tied-up in the corner. All four bowed to him, which he bowed back. Lorelei smiled as Hermione ran over to pet the creature who was enjoying the new attention.

Suddenly, the dog transformed into a man Lorelei hadn't seen in almost a year. He looked worse than he did in the fire. He wore the same robes from Azkaban and his hair seemed untidy once more. It reminded Lorelei of her own when she woke up. Sirius grinned at the group and noticed Lorelei's heavy bag.

Tossing it to him, Sirius cried out, "CHICKEN" happily as he dug through the bag. "Been living off rats mostly. Can't steal too much food from Hogsmeade; I'd draw attention to myself."

"What're you doing here?" Harry asked.

"Fulfilling my duty as a godfather and uncle," Sirius said while gnawing on a chicken bone. "Don't worry about it, I'm pretending to be a loveable stray. You four and Dumbledore are the only ones who know I'm an Animagus." Lorelei didn't bother to correct him with Fred and George because she didn't want to worry them. The twins wouldn't say a word about it.

They soon got straight to the point while talking about the Daily Prophet and Barty Crouch. It soon led to Barty sacking his house-elf and elf rights with Hermione. The conversation went to Bagman to which Lorelei scowled at the thought of him. Then, the conversation drifted to Voldemort.

Sirius let a grin flash across his face when Ron dared him to 'try them' because Sirius had said they wouldn't understand. "All right, I'll try you. Imagine that Voldemort's powerful now. You don't know who his supporters are, you don't know who's working for him and who isn't; you know he can control people and that they do terrible things without being able to stop themselves. You're scared for yourself, your family, and your friends. Every week, news comes of more deaths, more disappearances, more torturing... the Ministry of Magic's in disarray, they don't know what to do...

"They're trying to keep everything hidden from the Muggles, but meanwhile, Muggles are dying too. Terror everywhere...Panic...Confusion...that's how it used to be," Sirius sighed in pain when he thought of the old days of Voldemort. He went into a story about Barty Crouch allowing Unforgiveable Curses to be used to fight violence with violence. Then, he told how Barty Crouch fell... because of his son Barty Crouch Jr. who became a Death Eater.

Lorelei walked over to Buckbeak and began to pet the lovely creature while tuning out the other conversations. She could feel Sirius's eyes on her as he spoke about Death Eaters he knew of in Azkaban. Buckbeak was eating and gnawing on a bone Sirius threw at him. She rubbed his feathers as she spoke silently to the creature. She hoped one day he would be free again.

After a while, Sirius asked for the time. "Half-past three," Lorelei mumbled glancing at her watch. Still, by Buckbeak, she felt Sirius come up to her.

"A word?" he asked with a smile. The three fourth-years looked at them oddly as they spoke in whispers. "You've been keeping an eye on him, yeah?"

"I told you I would. I was in the Second Task if you don't remember my last letter, Sirius," she said sarcastically.

Sirius scowled at her. "I know. I-I just feel terrible. I know you don't trust Moody, and we're talking about trusting him... I just don't want you to think I'm not taking your feelings into consideration--"

"He knows I'm part of the noble House of Black, Sirius. He's bound not to like me since he doesn't know you're innocent. It's fine," she said with a shrug. Sirius sighed and pulled the girl in for a hug. "Don't worry about me, Sirius. I'm perfectly fine."

"I doubt it because you said it twice in that statement," he said with a chuckle. It was Lorelei's turn to scowl at the man when he ruffled her hair. "You certainly have my hair."

"Yeah, yeah. I packed you new clothes in that bag too. They're my boyfri--friend's old sweaters and pants. They may be a bit big on you, but well--" Sirius smirked. "--don't look at me like that."

"Your brother, Ron? That's the one she's seeing," Sirius asked the red-head behind her. Scowling further, Lorelei said, "I can take the clothes back. He didn't have to give them to you."

"No, I'm grateful. Tell him I said thank you," Sirius said with a beaming smile not even questioning the fact that George knew of his innocence. He looked at the four Gryffindors seriously. "You better get back to school. Now, listen... I don't want you lot sneaking out of school to see me, all right? Just send notes to me here. I still want to hear about anything odd. But you're not leaving Hogwarts without permission; it would be an ideal opportunity for someone to attack you."

Harry replied, "No one's tried to attack me so far, except a dragon and a couple of grindylows." Sirius scowled at him.

"I don't care. I'll breathe freely again when this tournament's over, and that's not until June."

"You're telling me," Lorelei said with her own scowl.

"And don't forget if you're talking about me among yourselves, call me Lorelei's favorite name: Snuffles," Sirius said smirking when he caught Lorelei's grin. Once Sirius walked them to the edge of the village, Lorelei hugged the dog tightly.

"I love you," she whispered causing the dog to bark at her happily. She smiled once more and left the Golden Trio to find her twins.