Dorm Room 210: Girls and Hope

Author note: This chapter has been revised and edited. Updated 10th June 2017

Chapter 7:

Girls and Hope

Nicole joins on our shopping day, despite the fact that her class starts within an hour. According to her, if all goes well, she should be able to make it. She doesn't second guess the reason why I need a dress, and it makes me happy and guilty at the same time, but Nicole doesn't complain anyway, so I don't either.

We find a small boutique, not that far off in the city, but according to Rachel it's one of her favourite places to go in times of a last minute shop.

I'm in awe the moment I step passed the glass doors.

The theme says classy, with a hint of trendy from the black and gold colour walls. There are racks of furs clothes to sparkle, prints to expensive tops that anyone can be done with an easy DIY stepping guide, and counters with a variety of accessories.

Rachel says it's a mix between a thrift and designer brand store. I don't hesitate running my fingers through the first rack of tank tops.

We look around for a bit, from rack to rack, but I absolve more of the colours and textures than I do searching for a dress. I can't help it; my creativity juicers flow out when I see patterns and designs, wondering what will fit with what.

Nicole walks with me eventually, commenting on a few pieces, but overall quiet. She plays with my hair when I scan through some jumpers with incredible detail, and I don't tell her to stop.

"So your date is tomorrow on Friday right? Have any idea how your hair will be? Your makeup?"

"Probably up," I tell her. "Or down, I don't know. The standard makeup I guess, nothing too out there. I need to find the dress first."

Nicole raises a brow. "You filter your looks depending on your clothes?"

Oh. "Am I not supposed to do that?"

Nicole shrugs. "You tell me. You're a designer." She bursts into smile when I start getting fidgety. "Relax, I'm kidding. I personally would have my hair up with a braid running down the middle. Add a wing to your makeup and you'll look ready for a date night."

The guilt begins to eat me away on the inside. Thankfully, Rachel makes her appearance with a couple of dresses hanging over her arm. At that time, an employee comes by, asking if we need any help.

"Yeah," Rachel says, and Nicole sighs next to me, like she's ready for something typical to happen. "Do you happen to have a black version of this red one?"

The employee, whose tag name says Shania, takes the dress. "I'll see what I can do."

"In the meantime," Rachel announces after Shania walks away, "try on these ones."

They're all black and gorgeous, and I fall immediately in love with them all, but one had me catch my breath a little longer.

It's shade was a little lighter, with printed gold triangles. It has an off shoulder look, but two thin straps wrap just above my chest and hugs my bare arm until it connects back to the shoulder one. Its stretchy fabric feels heavy but perfect for the cold weather. I don't bother hiding my delight as I open the changing room door for Rachel and Nicole to see.

Rachel's smile brightens. "That dead set suits you."

"Yes." Nicole nods enthusiastically. "If you don't get I will."

My chest warmed up as I turned to stare in my reflection, admiring the way the dress clings to me in the right places.

"Your date's going to love it!" Rachel bounces over to fix the sleeve, but the bubbly embrace dies as quickly as it comes.