31 | Eighteen

Kiara

It was finally my eighteenth birthday, and as I had prayed, I could walk on my own now. I didn't have to depend on anyone, and I was over the moon that at least one thing had gone as I had hoped.

When I woke up in the morning, I could smell the distinct aroma of Mom's waffles. Climbing off the bed and refreshing myself, I trudged down the stairs. Mom beamed at me the moment she saw me, and Irene rushed towards me, pulling me into a tight bear hug.

"My baby sister is eighteen and legal now, finally!" she exclaimed.

"Yay!" I tried my best to fake excitement, but in vain. "Where's Dad?" I asked, scanning around for him.

"He went to get some balloons for your party tonight," Mom said.

My eyes widened at that. "A party? For me?"

"It's not a big one, honey. Just Rose, Jay, and us," she replied, placing two plates of waffles arranged in my favourite way with chocolate syrup and strawberries on the counter. "Happy birthday, baby." Mom hugged me, her comforting scent of lavender engulfing me, giving me a kiss on my forehead. "You've come a long way. Never forget how strong you are."

I hugged her back, snuggling in her soft sweater. "Thanks, Mom."

"Wait, let me join!" Irene insisted and shuffled towards us, extending her arms around Mom and me, hugging us tightly.

I couldn't help laughing. "Your elbow is probing me, dumbo!"

"Shut up and just stay, you dum-dum!" Irene countered.

"Stop calling each other names!" Mom whacked us on the top of our heads.

"Mom!" we wailed in unison, rubbing the top of our heads.

"Eat your breakfast, you two! We need to get ready for the party." She grinned and walked back to the kitchen counter, leaving us to scramble towards the two plates of waffles, squabbling for the better plate.

●●●

Dressed up in a green off-shoulder dress, which was supposed to lift my spirits and make me happy--according to Irene--I felt anything but. Receiving no response from Hayden, I felt utterly hollow inside. But I was determined to keep on a smile today. It was my eighteenth birthday, after all!

Hearing a knock on the front door, I rushed to open it, just a faint glimmer of hope in my heart. But it was Jay.

"Happy eighteenth, Kiara!" he exclaimed, beaming.

I returned his grin and thanked him for coming while in my head; I was wailing.

Guess he really is gone . . .

Plastering a smile on my face, I carried the purple box with the satin ribbon tied around it that Jay gave me over to the table, and placed it beside the round, black-forest gateau.

"Hey, Ki."

I turned around, coming face-to-face with a grinning Rose dressed in a blue dress. I immediately rushed towards her, hugging her.

"Glad you could make it," I mumbled into her raven hair.

"Of course! I wouldn't miss my bestie's eighteenth for anything!" She pulled back, her eyes twinkling. "Plus, I bet you'll absolutely love my gift for you!"

My eyes widened at that while I gaped at the red box she had in her hands. "Wow, what is it?"

"You'll find out," she said, smirking smugly.

●●●

"Come on!" Rose insisted, dragging me by my wrist to my room.

Confused, I asked, "What is it, Ro?"

"Your present!" She held out the red box that I wasn't even aware she was hiding behind her back.

I squealed and took it from her hands, its exterior smooth and cool to the touch. Shaking it beside my ear, I implored, "How many guesses do I have?"

"Three." She crossed her hands across her chest. "Believe me, this will be the best present you've ever got!" She tilted her head up, a proud look on her face.

I narrowed my eyes at her, thinking hard as I listened to the sound coming from the box as I shook it beside my ear.

"Makeup?"

"Nope," she replied, popping the 'P.'

"Ring?"

"Nah."

I held the box at arms-length and examined its appearance. "Hmm, judging from its size . . . a watch?" I looked at her expectantly.

"Gosh, Ki, you're so bad at this." She shook her head, tutting at me.

"Not my fault, okay? I have only three guesses," I whined, pouting.

"Open it up," she instructed, sitting down on the bed and tapping the spot beside her, beckoning me.

I seated myself next to her and slowly removed the box's lid, my hand promptly flying to my mouth in surprise at what was inside. It was the necklace; the one Hayden had apparently gifted me according to my dream. The dog paw was resting proudly on the box's soft interior, glimmering under the ceiling light.

Gingerly, I took it out of the box and held it in my palm. I felt the tears welling up in my eyes again, but I blinked them back rapidly.

"You're welcome," Rose said from beside me, smiling smugly.

"But . . . how?" I looked at her in confusion. I thought I had lost the necklace during the accident.

"Well," she started, "it was around your neck on the day of the accident, but the doctors had to remove it because of your surgery. They were about to give it to your mom. So I lied and told them it was our friendship necklace." She flipped her hair proudly. "I asked them to give it to me to keep it safe for when you woke up, and your mom let me have it. But then, the entire fiasco with Hayden leaving happened, so I thought it would be better if I didn't give you the necklace."

"Oh my God, Ro!" I enveloped her in a tight hug, grateful for having met a friend like her. "But wait, you told me to forget him and move on," I asked, pulling back.

She shrugged. "About that . . . I didn't really feel good after I said that." She nodded her head at the necklace in my hand. "It's your life, after all, so your choices."

I gazed down at the coruscating, silver pendant resting on my palm; a blissful reminder of what I used to have.