.five.

Two nights later, the ship was docked at another village. The crew were all on deck, enjoying the coolness of the night, but Zuko was nowhere to be found.

It was music night. And after a couple minutes of listening to the crew from her room, she decided to join them.

"Y/n!" Iroh called out.
"Nice of you to join us, is there any song you have in your heart?"

Y/n sat down in the circle.

"Song? Well I know this one earth nation song." She replied. Iroh handed her his instrument, in which she began strumming to get the feel of it.

"Sometimes its soft as a misty rain
That gently touches my soul
It cools the fire that burns in me
And I simply loose control"

The group was instantly intranced, Iroh and a couple other members beginning to dance. Y/n closed her eyes, letting the song carry her, and soon she began to feel lighter.

"Just rain down on me
Let your love just fall like raindrops
rain on me

Just rain down on me
Let your love just shower me
Just rain down on me"

"What a beautiful song, y/n."

"Thank you uncle Ir- I mean general Iroh." She stuttered.

"You can call me uncle Iroh, we're basically family, we always have been."

"If you say so..."

After a few more songs, the sun began to rise and the ship was dappled with sunlight. And finally Zuko stomped his way on board.

"Zuko! You should have joined us for music night! Y/n sang a captivating love song!" Iroh called out to his nephew as he stomped by. Y/n watched him walk, noticing the blood dripping from his outfit.

"Prince Zuko. You're bleeding." Y/n called out.

"And what of it?" He growled.

"Let me help you." Zuko growled in frustration, he knew he couldn't patch his own wound, not one like this. He said nothing and began walking to his room, causing y/n to smile and follow him.

Zuko led y/n to his room, she surveyed the area, walls casted with torches and fire nation emblems everywhere. Zuko's back flexed as he began to shed his bloody tunic, dropping it on the ground. He wordlessly handed y/n a first aid kit, and waited for her instructions.

"Can you sit on that table for me, your highness?" Zuko gruffed in reply, sitting back and shifting his weight onto the table.

Y/n carefully moved over to him, standing just between his legs. She took a moment to just inspect the large gash on his torso, not wanting to touch him more than she had too. Her thumb came up to brush the side of the wound. Zuko groaned.

"Watch it." He hissed. Not necessarily because she hurt him, because her touch was always light and sweet, but because her hands on his body were enticing. Soon y/n picked up a cloth and began wiping up the blood.

"Want to tell me how you got this? Where you were all night?" Y/n asked, breaking the silence. Zuko didn't reply.

"Fine. Keep your secrets." She mumbled, not wanting to overstep the boundaries.

"Want to tell me why youre here and not fighting on front line for the fire nation?" He asked in return, his golden eyes closed as he leaned his head back against the wall.

"I would have been. But I ran away. You know how much I hated training before, well..... it got worse, and soon I realized that kind of bloodshed sickened me, and i refused to remain." She reminisced, rubbing a formula into the skin around the gash.

"....Would you have stayed if I was still there when you returned?" He asked, eyes still closed.

"Hmm, when your father told me personally what had happened and why you weren't there, I felt sick to my stomach. And suddenly I never wanted to see the palace again. Does that answer your question, your highness?"
Zuko reached out and gripped her wrist tightly, causing y/n to yelp. His gold eyes fluttered open to peer into hers.

"Stop." He said sternly.

"What-?"

"Stop calling me 'Prince' and 'Your Highness' all of a sudden." He growled.

"Why?" She asked, ready to lure him into a psychological trap.

"Because... you're not... beneath me." He mumbled, letting go and closing his eyes again as the stitching needle plunged into his skin.

"What are you talking about? I'm a village peasant, you're a prince." She stated, hiding the amusement in her voice.

"You're not- youre not a peasant. You're my.... companion." He huffed.

"Companion? You make me sound like a pet." She replied.

"Don't get too cocky." He growled.
"We're.... friends- that is, if you still want to be."

Y/n's laugh was sweet and smooth like pure honey.

"I'd like that." She replied, using a pocket knife to cut the end of the stitching thread. She made quick work with wrapping the wound in bandages.

Zuko watched as she stepped back a little, her eyes glossing over just a little. She scanned his face, noticing all the ways it had changed from years ago. He looked different, but y/n could recognize those gold eyes from anywhere. Her hand reached up to cup his face, but she quickly pulled back, as she realized what she was doing. Zuko stared at her with his same deep scowl, then sighed and looked away. Y/n grinned, knowing exactly what that meant, and her hand finally came up to cup the right side of his face, her thumb rubbing over his scar comfortingly.