24: Rush Hour

a/n:
•10k?! Ohmyjesus, I love you people so much! And what a great way to start the new year!

a/n:•10k?! Ohmyjesus, I love you people so much! And what a great way to start the new year!

~Mikayla's pov~

The next day was uneventful, but if you find the fact that Jacob and I didn't talk for the whole day interesting, then there you go. I felt bad for what I said and wanted to apologize, but it didn't seem Jacob wanted to look at me for more than a second, like he was taking all costs to avoid me.

Oh, I did also get looked at weirdly when my English teacher asked for the homework assignment and I had to say I hadn't done it in front of the entire class. But, weirdly enough, I hadn't cared that I didn't complete it. How does he expect that little words from such a story? Usually, I'd feel guit if I didn't do homework but this time when I remembered about it, the only thing that came from me was a shrug and I continued with what I was doing.

When school finally let out, I walked to the diner where a lot of other students were headed for an afternoon meal. I was going to reach to open the door when a arm reached for it behind me and opened it for the both of us. I turned and smiled when I saw it was Jesse, with the others just getting out of the car in the parking lot.

"Hey," I greeted.

He smiled back. "Go work," he waved me off.

I ran to the back of the counter where they kept all the aprons and supplies, but it looked like they were all being used or something. I didn't want to work without the apron or the permission from my boss, so I turned from the rack and made my way over to Sean's office, which was in a more secluded corner.

I made sure to knock before entering. "Sean?"

He turned from his computer to face me in his spinning chair. "Yes?"

I leaned on the doorframe. "What happened to the aprons?"

Sean's eyes widened. "I forgot to tell you!" He face-palmed. "The waitresses got new uniforms." He walked away into his supply closet and came back out a minute later, a pink dress-thingy and a pair of some roller-skates in both hand's grasp. "There you go." He shoved the new uniforms to my chest. Sean had always aimed for the diner to look more of an 50's type of place and had always made changes here and there around the diner, so I was sure there was no surprise on my face when he showed the things to me

I took the things. "What would have happened if I didn't know how to skate?"

He looked at the skates then me. "But you do, don't you?"

I did. "Well, yeah but—"

"Then that's all I need to worry about," he interjected, then waved me out of his office and to the front.

I hurried off to the restrooms so I could change into the new clothing and leave my regular ones in my locker. Tying the lace of the skates wasn't easy, I'd usually kneel when I tie up my shoes, but that was only when I was comfortable and familiar with the floor so much that I wouldn't have a problem lying on it. But I didn't know what people did in these restrooms so I didn't want to lay in there at all. And given the fact these were skates made it all the more difficult.