Chapter 3

(Y/n) P.O.V.

I decide to stop at Owens bungalow near the sea. I'm still pissed, and stomp a little as I walk past him working on his bike. I go inside, and grab a beer. I often do this, so I know he won't mind. I go back to the porch and aggressively open the beer before taking a swig. "Jeez, what's got you so worked up?" He asks. "Claire." I respond. "What happened?"

"She was supposed to take our nephews today. It's supposed to be a fun weekend with them, but she totally bailed. She left them with some dumb unobservant chick, who's totally gonna lose them by the way, and went back to work. And I couldn't take them because it's 'not my day'. I confronted her about it, and she just yelled at me for lecturing her. She has some nerve." I growl, squeezing the beer bottle so hard it breaks. Owen looks at the broken bottle to my pissed face. "She is something." He agrees. Although I can't help there's something off about it. I know they went on a date once awhile ago, but maybe he still has a thing for her.

I look into the distance, and see Claire coming up to the bungalow. "Speak of the devil." I mumble. "What do they want now?" Owen groans. "Mr. Grady? I need you to come take a look at something." She looks at me, and gives me a blank look. "And you, (Y/n)."

"Why are you calling me Mr. Grady?" Owen asks. "Owen. If your not too busy?" She sighs. "I'm pretty busy." Owen retorts, working on his bike again. "We have an attraction." She says. "That's not what you said the last time I saw you." I look down at the ground in jealousy. "The dinosaurs, Mr. Grady."

"Owen."

"A new species we've made." I step of the porch. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, you did what?" I exclaim. "You just went and made a new dinosaur?" Owen adds. "Yeah, it's uh kinda what we do here. The exhibit opens to the public in three weeks. Mr. Masrani wanted me to consult with you two."

"You want to consult here, or in my bungalow?" Owen says suggestively. "It's not funny."

"A little funny." Owen laughs. He looks to me for confirmation, but I look away dejectedly.

"We would like you to evaluate the paddock for vulnerabilities." Claire continues. "Why us?" I groan. She glares at me. "I guess that Mr. Masrani thinks, since you are able to control the raptors--"

"See, it's all about control with you. We don't control the raptors, it's a relationship. It's based on mutual respect. That's why you and I never had a second date." Owen says, standing now. Damn this conversation is killing me. I just keep my head down. "Excuse me, I never wanted a second date."

"Who prints out an itinerary for a night out?!"

"I am an organized person."

"And what kind of a diet doesn't allow tequila?"

"All of them, actually. And what kind of a man shows up to a date in boardshorts?"

"It's Central America; it's hot." I scoff. "I've never seen in shorts ever." I say, pointing at his long pants. They both look at me. I go red in embarrassment. "Ok, ok. Can we just focus on the asset, please?" Claire butts in. "The asset? Look I get it. You're in charge out here, you gotta make a lot of tough decisions, it's probably easier to pretent these animals are just numbers on a spreadsheet. but they are not. They are alive." I hiss at her. "I am fully aware they're alive." I walk over to her. "Are you though?"

"You might have made them in a test tube, but they don't know that. They're thinking: I gotta eat. I gotta hunt. I gotta..." He makes a suggestive motive with his hand. "You can relate to at least one of those things, right?" Owen says. "I'll be in the car. You might want to change your shirt, they're very sensitive to smell." Claire walks to her car with Owen staring at her. I grow even more jealous. He still has a thing for her doesn't he? I think in annoyance. "You going to be okay? Ya know, and not pull her hair out in the car?" Owen asks. I shrug. "I just can't believe her sometimes. Go change. I'll wait here." As he passes me, he pats my shoulder. I feel my cheeks heat up a bit at his next words. "Don't worry, it's clear your the better sister." I blow hair out of my face, and notice I'm getting a call.

"Karen?" I answer. "I got off the phone with Claire a few minutes ago. She isn't with the boys, and I thought it was her today, you tomorrow, and all of you the next day." I sigh, frustrated. "Yeah, I know. I'm so sorry, Karen. I tried to take the boys today, but she insisted she'd take them for the second half of the day. I promise I'll make sure they have extra fun with me tomorrow, alright?" I offer, knowing how important family time is to her. "Well, a promise tomorrow is worth a lot less than trying today." I groan teasingly. "Ew, okay Mom. Where'd that come from? Besides I said I tried." I hear her laugh on the line. "You and Claire....You'll see they're good lines when you have kids."

I laugh boisterously. "Okay, yeah, sure. If I have kids. I'm not like you." I can practically hear her roll her eyes. "Claire said the same thing. If. I say when." I scoff. "Right. Either way, I'm a long way from that. I'm not even with anyone." Just as I say that, Owen walks out of the bungalow. I hide my smile. "I got to go, sweetie. I love you."

"Love you." I hang up as Owen approaches in a fresh shirt. "Who was that?" He questions. "My other sister. She called to yell at me about Claire, and the boys. It's no big deal. Ready to go?" He looks at me suspiciously, but nods anyway. "Are you sure you want to come. I won't judge if you'd rather go see your nephews." I shake my head. "Nah, I got to be there to knock sense into Claire."

"You're positive?"

"They'll be okay for a little longer. I'd trust them to walk around any other amusement park alone. You're sweet though." He smiles at me, sending butterflies through my stomach. Maybe it's all not as far as I think.