Chapter 10

Before beginning the chapter, I would request you to please offer your prayers. Also, there are a lot of bad things happening right now and we're quite privileged if we ain't affected by any of them. However, please keep all those vulnerable ones in your duas when you pray. The migrant workers, the corona affected ones, the victims of social prejudices, the ones stricken with war and so many more. Please pray for their safety and well being. Thanks.

Now let's begin the chapter ---------------

Ashiya's PoV:

It was Friday and the boys were gone for Jumah prayer. Khala and I were in the kitchen. She was making biryani and I was sitting on the kitchen counter watching her with amusement. She's such a graceful lady...

"Did you talk to Saba?" Khala asked, still busy with her work.

(Saba is the name of Ashiya's mother. I had forgotten to mention it earlier. Please don't get confused.)

"Yupp," I replied, "Ammi said salaam to you. She also said that you should make me work here and not allow me to sit in a single place all day long."

"Walaikum assalam," she replied and chuckled.

"No seriously, Ammi keeps yelling at me all day," I frowned and Khala laughed again.

"That's coz she's afraid that you'll get scolding at your in laws."

"And why would they scold me?"

"Because some parents want their sons to get wives who are 'perfect bahu material' " she answered while air quoting the last three words and both of us laughed.

"If that's the case, then I already feel bad for my husband," I said.

"And why would you say that?" Khala asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Because...," I tried reasoning, "I mean look at me Khala, I'm no pro at cooking, I'm outspoken and I call out on things that piss me off. So automatically I'm not a 'perfect bahu material' that most of the parents want for their sons." Khala looked at me for good 2 seconds before replying -

"You know Ashu, it doesn't matter what the parents want for their children," Khala said softly, " because in the end, it's you guys who will have to live together and not them. Of course I, as a parent, want the best for my sons but it's not necessary that what's right according to me, has to be right according to them too. My sons have the liberty to find wives for themselves but that has to be done in a certain way. Islam doesn't stop you from marrying someone of your choice, culture does."

I was amazed on hearing her words. She made so much sense unlike most of the women of her age. She understood our generation but at the same time had guidelines for us too. I hope all the people understand these things like she does. Only then, we will be able to look beyond the small differences between each other and will live happily.

"I hope every girl gets a mother in law like you," I said and she laughed.

"Biryaniii!!" We heard a voice and turned to find Ayan approaching us with excitement, "wow it smells soooo good!"
Arhaan and Ahan,too, had returned from the mosque and were now taking their seats around the dining table.

"You guys go and take your seats, I'll serve," Khala said to Ayan and me and we obliged.

Author's PoV:

As the food got served, it didn't take even a second for Ashiya to devour the Biryani . Everyone gawked at her as they watched her expressions changing from hunger to pleasure. Looking at her skinny form, nobody could have imagined her appetite to be so huge.

"This is pure bliss..." Ashiya moaned in delight. Everyone chuckled except Ahan, who rather wore a disregarding look. He never liked people who ate their food like that. For him, table manners mattered a lot and were a significant trait of civilised humans. But of course he didn't want to say anything to her since she didn't belong to his family.

"With a physique and appetite like that, you surely surprise us Ashu," Arhaan commented to which Ashiya stuck out her tongue.

"I'm sorry if I seem to have no manners, Khala," she said with her mouthful, "but this is SO goooood."

"I'm glad you liked it," Mariam replied.
Meanwhile, Ahan got up with his empty plate and dumped it in the sink. He washed his hands and went straight to his room. Ashiya saw this and was a bit surprised at how quickly he was done with his meal. "He's not so fond of rich food," Mariam said after eyeing Ashiya's expression.

"Bhai is a health freak," Arhaan said and Ashiya formed her mouth into an O.

"Yeah, but I'm not!" Ayan remarked and refilled his plate with more food.

..................….............................................

Thank you readers for voting and commenting. Even if you guys are few in number, you guys motivates me a lot. I'm grateful for everything.

Coming to the story, do you like Mariam? I'm waiting to unfold her character layers with the story and I hope you'll love her.

Thanks again, Jazakallah.