Chapter 31

Evie’s POV

"Can you draw me a dog?"

"Sure." I take the marker out of Donny's hands and start drawing.

Today it's just me and Donny and I'm excited to spend some time with him.

"Is this good?"

"Mmm." Donny looks at the dog I've drawn and cocks his head. "Weeelll."

The dog is a little lopsided. I'm definitely not an artist.

"Can you draw me another one? But make his eyes the same size?"

I laugh. "Okay Donny."

I kiss his head and try again.

"How about this?"

"Well." Donny takes the paper from my hands. He sighs and I know he's disappointed.

"Sorry Donny. I'm a crappy artist."

"Yeaahhh." Donny starts coloring the dog anyways. "I know."

I laugh at him and my phone buzzes.

Thanks for a great night mamas.

It's from Tony. I text him back.

And thank you for an amazing dinner. I'm spending the day with Donny but I'll call you tonight.

Sounds good mamas. Say hi to the lil man for me.

I tuck my phone back into my pocket. Soon, it buzzes again.

And I love you.

I smile then quickly text back.

I love you too.

Donny and I end up drawing a few more animals before he says he's hungry.

"Okay." I go to the fridge and we have a ton of leftovers. "Do you want enchiladas?"

"Yes please." Donny runs to to the dining table. "But I don't want any of the spicy stuff."

"Okay Donny." I stick the plate in the microwave and heat it for 60 seconds. When it beeps, I take his plate out and put mine in. I pour a little verde sauce on mine then bring our plates to the table.

"Thanks Evie."

"You're welcome." I start eating and it's taste just as good as yesterday. The only thing that's missing is... Tony.

"When can I go to Emily's house?" Donny asks with his mouth full.

"Don't speak with your mouthful Donovan." I sip my horchata. "And maybe tomorrow. I'll call Tony tonight okay?"

"Okay." We eat some more. And I can't help but wonder about Donny and Emily's relationship.

"Donny?"

"Yes?" His mouth is full again.

"Do you like Emily?"

"Yes." He keeps eating. I don't think he understood my question. I was expecting him to get embarrassed.

"No, I mean. Do you have a crush on her?"

"No." Donny looks at me with innocence in his eyes. "She's really nice and I love her lots but she's just my friend. Well she's my best friend." He shoves some more food in his mouth.

I'm actually kind of disappointed. But I don't say so.

"Does Emily like you?"

"Yesss Evie." Donny actually rolls his eyes. "I already told you that we're best friends."