Chapter 16

The fields were upholstered with poppies so red,
And black as my hat was each rook;
And the hedges were bordered, like quilts on a bed,
With the bombazine braid of the brook.

And I thought to myself, with an auctioneer's smirk.
As I gazed on the freehold so rare:
'O Lord, if on Earth these chaste shows are thy work.
Of what is the Kingdom up there?'

Appropriate Verses on an
Elegant Landscape.

Rudyard Kipling

********************************************

We are being towed still as Jah-jahaní suggested as a sign of peace. She says that to come in under our own power would be viewed as aggressive, so Mandy thinks it's better to show our peaceful demeanor. I'm not so happy about it, but we'll go with it for now. The spaceport we're approaching is immense. This world has two moons both are small, and This spaceport is almost as large. It has an oval shape and appears smooth; I can't see where the port doors are and we are getting really close. As well get closer a split appears and begins to widen until it's large enough to accommodate us to pass through.

As we enter I see numerous vessels similar to the ship Jah-jahaní commands, but larger and some of the same size. We are being pulled along and to the port side is a large Mahjah-tu ship, who's size dwarfs the Helios. "These ships are so technologically ahead of us... It seems like we have a long way to go." I turn and look up at Mandy.

"Well, it's not fair to say that." I contemplate the this vessel as we pass it by. "They've been at it for a much longer time." As we clear that ship another vessel starts to come to view and I sit back and shiver runs down my spine. The image burned into my mind comes back; it's the shape that is blurred and shadowed on the message from the Hyperion. Only it's clear, but that crucifix form is unmistakable! "Mandy!"

"I see it!" She says and I pick up the tremble in her voice. "It's not one of their ship, the Mahjah-tu, but what is it doing here?" We can't jump the gun here since we don't know anything.

"You know, we'll ask Jah-jahní about that ship, but we need to be calm here." We need to present ourselves as calm and stable people. Besides, we don't have an idea of this situation; what if these people are allies of the Mahjah-tu? We don't have any political weight here yet.

     We pass by the ship and reach what appears to be a docking port, as Jah-jahní's ship peels off and we drift for a moment, when suddenly we feel the ship tremble. We are pulled towards a port as a large arm locks on to the Helios. A retractable bridge extended and attaches to our port side hatch.
I stand up looking at Mandy nodding that it's time to go. "Mr. Rodriguez you have the bridge."

"Aye sir." He stands and moves into the Captains chair, and I have to smile at how comfortable he is at command. Mandy and I head to the port side hatch and there is are gear waiting for us, we stand by for the green light to come on.

    Gunny Wilcox is there as well checking the two young Marines, who will be part of our security detachment. "How're we looking gunny?" I ask knowing how Marines are.

     He turns to me. "These boys are ready for whatever comes down the road; they're life takers and heartbreakers Sir." I smile nod to him and turn back just in time to see the light turn green.

    I look at Mandy and she at me. "Ready Major?"

    "I'm as ready as I can be, so let's do this." She looks at hatch, as I nod to the ensign who is standing by the door. He immediately turns the locking wheel then pulls the door in. There is the bridge that leads to another world. Everyone hesitates because once we go past the hatch, the world will never be the same again. I take a big breath and go through the hatch making history I suppose, being the first human to enter another world. I lead the procesión forward through the tunnel like bridge until we reach the other side. Once through we are greeted by three male Mahjah-tu, who smile bow, which I return in kind as do the rest of my people that come through.

    "Welcome to Mahjah prime port." He looks at each of us in turn. "I am Kohlto-mah and I will be your guide here until Talnah Jah-jahní is ready." He gestures with his hand down a passageway. "Please this way to the decontamination center, then we will wait in the mohtah, That is garden area." He says.

     I nod and gesture for him to lead. He's not as tall as the other two who are with him, and not as physically imposing as the ones who came with Jah-jahní. However he's still very good looking as are the other two. I wonder if this is something particular to this people. He takes us down this passageway and we make several turns until we are in front of a door with markings that must be their language, and  he touches the wall next to the door opening up with a light hiss.

     We enter and find that an entire team of Mahjah-tu are there and they help us disrobe and take us to an individual, what seems to be a tube like shower stall, as I step into it I notice the whole thing is made of an opaque glass; the door shuts also made of the opaque glass behind me and water or water like liquid comes down. Afterward warm air rushes through the tube practically drying me completely.

Stepping out a male Mahjah-tu hands me a towel and I dry those parts that the air didn't. Then he hands me a robe that I slip on, and he leads me to a changing room where my dress greys are neatly folded on a bench; I quickly get dressed making sure that my uniform is impeccable, and I stand back for a moment remembering how much I hate this high collar and wondering if I'm right in making this move. I let out a short breath smoothing out non existent wrinkles. I step out and am escorted to where our party is assembling.

The Marines are in their dress blues and looking sharp, as they always do in that uniform. Gunny Wilcox approaches me and give me a crisp salute, which I return. "Sir the Marines are ready." I notice that they all have side arms, since thy are our security they are allowed to have weapons. This brings a certain level of comfort to me, knowing that we have these armed Marines with us.

"Excellent gunny." I reply. "Where is the Major?" I ask looking around and she's not here. I here the door open; turning I see Mandy walking up to us. I smile at her and I salute her as mission commander; she returns it sharp and crisp, she's as professional as always. I motion for the two younger Marine escorts to join us. "We must be on our absolute best behavior here; I want professionalism, which I know we're all capable of." I at each in turn. "Alright, are we good to go?"

"Uurah, Captain." The Gunny responds.