| Thirty-five

EMERY AND her mom sit at the table, eating breakfast together for the first time in a long time. Emery's glad that she gets to be with her mom like this. Her mom is actually happy.

"What's going on with you and Harven?" Her mom smirks, taking a bite of eggs.

"Well, I guess if you need a label, he's my boyfriend." Emery smiles.

Her mom chokes on her food. "And you didn't think to tell me, Emery!"

Emery laughs at her moms dramatics. "It really just slipped my mind. Harven and I, we just are, if that makes sense. I never really say "he's my boyfriend." It's more than that, I think. Different." Emery looks down at her food.

"Well, I'll be. My baby is in love." Her mom shakes her head. Emery's cheeks redden, like they do every time she's talking about that boy.

"Well, when is he coming over for dinner?" Her mom resumes in eating her food.

Emery chuckes. "Mom you already know him."

Her mom shakes her head. "I know him as our neighbor and your childhood friend. I don't know his as my daughter's boyfriend and lover."

"Mom! Don't call him my "lover," gross." Emery groans. Her mom laughs at Emery's embarrassment.

"I'll ask him if he can come this evening. Happy?" Emery says.

"Very much." Her mom grins, and they eat the rest of their breakfast in silence.

_______________

Emery gets ready for their dinner with Harven, slightly nervous, but having faith in him. He's doesn't strike Emery as a family dinner kind of boy, but he's very "on the spot." He'll come up with something.

Emery dressed in a short simple dress. It's blue and flows at the bottom, her hair set in a simple side braid. Her curly baby hairs still stick out in the front.

She goes downstairs and out the door, heading over to get Harven. She knocks on the door and waits patiently.

He comes out in a burnt orange, tight knit sweater paired with dark jeans. She smiles up at him out of instinct.

"I've come to fetch you." She says, taking his arm in hers and starting to walk back across the lawn.

"I must say, you look very handsome tonight." Emery gives him a once over. He smirks.

"Stop, I'm blushing." Harven says.

"You never blush." She rolls her eyes.

"I know, I was being you." He smiles. She gives him an annoyed look, because he was right.

When they get inside, Emery's mom had already set out all of the food on the table. Harven smiles at her mom and gives her a hug. She doesn't have to tell him to call her Beck, because he's already been doing that for ten years.

They sit down and immediately Emery's mom wants to know everything. Emery understands because she knows how unexpected this is.

"You guys were so stubborn as children. How did this happen?" Her mom chuckles. Emery looks over to Harven and raises a brow.

"We just kind of warmed up to each other." Harven says, looking at Emery.

"It helped that he stopped being a jerk." She pats his shoulder. He gasps.

"I was never a jerk, I was fun." He defends.

"Yes, so fun." She says sarcastically. He eyes her while he eats his food.

"All that aside, we just understood each other more. I learned to love his unique personality." Emery smiles. Harven laughs and shakes his head.

"I'm so happy, I hoped for this when you were children." Her mom smirks.

"Mom! Why does everyone say that?" She groans.

"Because you've always had puppy dog eyes for me." Harven grins.

"That is so not true." She shakes her head. Harven doesn't believe her, but leaves her to believe what she wants.

When the dinner is over, Emery sees Harven to the door. They sit on the bench that's just outside her door.

"Can I just say, it is so hot when you're all fired up." Harven smirks.

Emery has an epiphany. "That must be why you fell in love with me, I was always mad at you!" She laughs.

Harven rolls his eyes.

"How did this happen?" Harven shakes his head, smiling down at her.

"I don't know," She breathes, "But I'm glad it did."

They swing quietly on the bench.