46

Kegan was giddy as he climbed into bed. He didn't even care that Calix was out to patrol; his excitement and anticipation for his future babies had filled his body and pushed away the usual separation anxiety that he felt.

"They better look like Calix," Jade said, making Kegan roll his eyes but smile anyway. "Don't roll your eyes! Imagine little Calix babies running around the house!"

Kegan couldn't deny that he loved the idea of that. "How many do you think we'll have?"

"Well, it's uncommon for Omegas to have only one pup, so I'd guess between two and four?"

Humming, Kegan slid out of bed and ran to the bathroom. He turned on hot water, and as he waited for it to fill up the tub, he lit a few of the lavender candles that Lys had given him when he told her about how much he loved the scent. Then, he put some of his favorite rose bath soap into the tub, the bubbles foaming up as the water filled the tub.

Bathing was something that Kegan had only been allowed to do in the Blood Moon pack. In the Red Claw pack, only the higher ranked wolves got their own showers and baths, and none of the Omegas qualified for that. All of them were lined up and sprayed with freezing water twice a week to clean them off.

The bubbles were soft on his skin, the warm water creating a relaxing environment. He purred to himself, and he could feel Calix relaxing through his mate mark, most likely a result of Kegan's own satisfaction.

"What're you doing that's making you so happy?" Calix asked through their link, even though both he and Kegan knew he was supposed to be focused on patrol.

Kegan snickered at the thought, closing his eyes and leaning back in the tub. "Taking a bath... bet you wish you were here," he teased, picturing the eye roll Calix would give him if he was there.

"Yeah, too bad I have to make sure no one comes to kill us. Tragic," Calix said sarcastically. "Make sure you get to bed safely. I'll be back late."

"Make sure you get home safely," Kegan shot back.

No matter how strong Calix was or what training Luke was working on with him, Kegan would always worry about his mate. He knew it was a natural instinct to worry about his mate, but it was also Kegan's fear that Leon or his father would attack and kill Calix just to hurt him.

Calix didn't even know that Kegan was related to the Alpha of the Red Claw pack, and he wasn't too keen on telling him. If there was a war and it came to it, Kegan didn't want Calix to hesitate to kill someone just because he was related to them. It could lead to someone he cared about getting hurt, and Kegan refused to be the cause of one of his beloved pack mate's deaths.

Sighing, Kegan closed his eyes and settled into the warm water. He needed to relax; Calix would be back soon, their pack was strong and smart, and he would be okay. Everything would be find.

After a short forty five minutes of relaxing in the tub, the water began to go cold. After climbing out of the tub, Kegan dried himself and blew out the candles, the smoke floating into the air and fading.

He put on one of Calix's shirts once his body had been dried, his hair slightly damp. Though he felt a little lonely without Calix in the room, Kegan knew he wasn't really alone.

Smiling, he touched his stomach. There was something in there and in six months he'd have babies of his own.

That thought calmed him down enough to shut his eyes and fall asleep.

He didn't stay asleep for long.

A loud knock at the front door made him shoot out of bed. No one in his pack house family ever knocked on the door... he glanced at the alarm clock... especially not at two in the morning.

Kegan grumbled, hoping someone else would answer, but the knocking only got louder. He got out of bed, wrapping himself in a blanket and walking out to the front door.

He opened it, but no one was there. The chilly nighttime air made him shiver, but his curiosity was stronger and he stepped out on the front porch, the cool wood on his feet making him shiver again.

"Hello?" Kegan called, looking out into the darkness, as if someone would walk out for him to see. "Is anyone there?"

No response came, but Kegan wasn't done.

"Calix? If you're trying to joke around with me, it's not funny," he said irritably. "I'm tired, so either come out and see me or sleep on the damn couch."

Kegan growled when no one responded. He turned to go inside when he saw something on the porch swing. Pausing in his tracks, Kegan saw two eyes glowing and they seemed familiar, but there was no scent surrounding the figure.

"Who are you?" Kegan asked, eyes wide as he backed toward the door. "What are you doing here?"

The figure didn't respond, but it stood up and made its way toward Kegan. The darkness cloaked the person, so Kegan couldn't see anything besides the glowing eyes.

"Stop! Don't come any closer!" Kegan growled, trying to mask his fear with anger.

He backed away, tripping on the entrance to the house. When he tried to push himself back inside the house, someone appeared behind him, a hand clapping over his mouth and another over his eyes.

Kegan tried to scream, tried to determine a scent, but he couldn't. He struggled in the grip, but no growls echoed and no one spoke. A sharp prick in his arm made Kegan try to scream louder, but to no avail.

The pain seemed to radiate through his body, making his head pound and his gut burn. It was overwhelming and made him extremely dizzy, and before he knew it, Kegan had passed out, darkness taking over his vision.

•••

Calix returned home around three in the morning, extremely exhausted and ready to cuddle up beside Kegan. He opened the door to the pack house, closing it tightly behind him.

After a quick meal of leftover meatloaf and potatoes, Calix sauntered into his room. He smiled when he saw that Kegan was asleep on the bed, curled up and in a deep sleep.

Usually Kegan woke up as soon as Calix got back, as he was a light sleeper. It was almost a relief that Kegan stayed asleep, because to Calix that meant he was getting more relaxed and comfortable.

Calix took a quick shower and put on a pair of boxers before he slid into bed, cuddling his mate close to his chest. He knew that Kegan was excited about his pregnancy, but he didn't think exhaustion would take a toll like this so quickly, but he'd also never been pregnant.

"Sleep well, love," Calix whispered, even though he knew Kegan couldn't hear him.

With that, he drifted off to sleep.