- 9 5 - LEAVING FEAST

LORELEI FELT A WEIGHT ON HER LEGS WHEN SHE BEGAN TO WAKE UP

LORELEI FELT A WEIGHT ON HER LEGS WHEN SHE BEGAN TO WAKE UP. Lorelei's eyes felt heavy, but the urge to wake up and see what was going on was heavier. Her eyes narrowed at the harsh light, and she quickly covered her eyes and rubbed them a bit with her hands.

Sighing, she finally managed to see things around her clearly. She saw a black dog laying happily on her legs staring at her. With energy she didn't know she had, she muttered out lowly, "That's bloody creepy, Sirius."

The dog barked happily and jumped to reach her face. He sent one good lick up the side of her face making her groan out in disgust. She petted the dog who seemed all too happy to see her. Laughing a bit when the dog was barking as if he was talking, she noticed the people around her staring at her wide-eyed. She was glad she said his name low.

Sirius curled up excitedly next to her while she continued to stroke his fur. Giving a small smile and a wave to Fred, George, Molly, Ron, Harry, and Hermione who sat around her, she noticed they all looked relieved to see her alive and well.

George sat next to her bed looking worse for wear. He looked as if he didn't get any sleep the night prior. Lorelei gave him a real smile, making him grin at her. She looked at Molly. "D-Did they get Crouch?" Molly sucked in a breath and nodded. She then looked over at Harry. "All right?"

"Fine," he said a bit too forced, but he managed a smile.

"What's going on? Why do you all seem so grim?" she glanced around the room suspiciously.

Fred sighed and sat next to his brother. "Fudge refuses to believe Harry or Dumbledore. Thinks You-Know-Who being back is rubbish... Diggory was killed by him and they are making it seem like a tragic accident."

Molly took over. "Bill was here but left on Dumbledore's orders. A lot of things are about to change, Lorelei. No one wants to argue with the Ministry, but they are wrong. Even Professor Snape... his dark mark was darker than it's been for thirteen years. Fudge won't see reason."

Lorelei narrowed her eyes. "So what does that mean for us?"

Harry laughed mockingly. "It means Fudge will do anything to hush it all up... he found out about your father and your relations to--anyway, he thinks we've gone mad with what Rita Skeeter has been writing--"

"It's all a load of rubbish!"

"We know, dear, but all we can do right now is trust Dumbledore. He led us right the first time, and he'll do it again. Come now, you need to rest," Molly tried but Lorelei shook her head.

"This is ridiculous--" a bark interrupted her. "You hush it, you don't know what--" Lorelei froze. Looking around, she began to panic. Talking to Sirius had reminded her of someone. "Brizo... where is he? Where's Brizo, George?"

George grinned a bit. "Lee's got him, don't worry."

Lorelei sighed and nodded even though she was worried about Lee's tarantula. Laying back down, she watched Dumbledore walk back into the room with Snape at his side. He smiled at Lorelei who was petting Sirius's head. He grinned further at that action. "Now, it is time for two of our numbers to recognize each other now for what they are. Sirius... if you could resume your usual form."

Sirius hopped off the bed and in an instant turned into himself. Smiling at Lorelei and Harry, he didn't flinch when Molly screamed out in fear and Snape snarled out in anger. Fred and George just smirked as they watched their mother freak out when Ron told her to shut up with the screaming.

"He is here at my invitation," Dumbledore said to Snape looking between them, "as you are, Severus. I trust you both. It is time for you to lay aside your old differences and trust each other. I will settle, in the short term for a lack of open hostility. You will shake hands. You are on the same side now. Time is short, and unless the few of us who know the truth do not stand united, there is no hope for any of us."

The two brooding men shook hands but let go quickly making Dumbledore smile happily. Sirius sat on the bed next to Lorelei, pushing George aside. Lorelei made a questioning face, but Sirius only grinned smugly at George's confused face.

"Now, I have work for each of you. Fudge's attitude, though not unexpected, changes everything. Sirius, I need you to set off at once. You are to alert Remus Lupin, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher--the old crowd. Lie low at Lupin's for a while, I will contact you there."

Lorelei grabbed Sirius's hand in fear. Did he have to go? Sirius smiled gently when he saw Harry and Lorelei pleading for him not to go with their eyes. Harry tried to get him to stay, but Sirius raised a hand. He stood up between the two and said, "You'll see me very soon--both of you. I promise, but I must do what I can, you understand, don't you?"

Lorelei could only nod while Harry managed a vocal affirmative answer. Lorelei felt George sit back next to her and grab her hand lightly. Sirius gave him a look before shifting back into his dog form and leaving the room at once. She would be glad to see Remus again, she thought.

After giving Snape his orders, Snape followed Sirius out of the room.

The next few days were terrible for Lorelei. Harry had told whoever he had to about Lorelei jumping in front of the killing curse, and the Weasleys especially kept a close eye on the girl. They all thought she would burst from keeping her feelings bottled up, and she knew she would eventually. For now, she had to be strong.

She was allowed to leave the Hospital Wing that afternoon, but George hadn't left her side since. Brizo stuck close to the girl as well as if he knew she needed him.

At the Leaving Feast, Lorelei felt sick to her stomach the whole time when she saw the empty seat at the Hufflepuff table. She hadn't allowed herself to think about Cedric too much because she had broken down when she was alone enough. Cedric had been someone who saved her life, and he died. Just like that. He deserved a long, happy life, and he didn't get it.

George held one hand while Fred held the other. It was like the twins were afraid if they let her go, she would lose it. They both knew everything that had happened that night, once she was able to mutter it to them, and now she was just as twitchy as Mad-Eye Moody who sat at the staff table shaking here and there.

With the words, "Remember Cedric Diggory" ringing in her ears, she didn't stay for the feast. She couldn't be around so many people, especially after Dumbledore had told the Great Hall about her 'heroic actions' to save Harry from Crouch. She wasn't a hero; she was terrified. She was only glad that Brizo hadn't left her side.