33. Growing.

Chapter 33: Growing.

I fall off my bed for the second time tonight and I let out a frustrated groan.

Can't I sleep in peace?

I look at the clock on the wall, it's 6:43 am. I'm over this.

I put on my Nike windbreaker and a pair of leggings. I grab my iPod and headphones and I walk out of my room. I'm going for an early morning jog. I get downstairs and I try to open the door as discreetly as possible, but I fail at that. The door makes a huge screech sound and I roll my eyes.

"Miss, are you going somewhere?" Jeremy says behind me.

"Yes. I'm just going for an early morning jog." I tell him before I head out.

I run until I see the huge black gates that secure Zachary's house. I know, I know. He's toxic but I need him right now. I press the buzzer by the gate and I wait for a response.

"Henderson Residence, who is there please?" Osvaldo asks me.

"It's Valarie." I say into the speaker.

"I'll open the gates." He tells me.

Seconds later, I am walking through the gate heading straight for the house. I am about to knock on the door when Zachary opens it.

"Jesus, Valarie, it's 7:00 am." Zachary says, yawning.

"Hey." I say, folding my headphones in my hands.

"Did you run here?" He asks, staring at my trainers.

"Yes." I tell him, smiling innocently.

"Come in." He says as he rubs his eyes.

"You look cute when you're half asleep." I comment as I enter the house.

He doesn't reply. He just starts going up the stairs.

"Wait for me, asshole." I whisper, not wanting to wake the whole house up.

I walk into Zachary's room and I see Drew playing with a toy in his crib and I stare at Zachary.

"He's the reason I'm still awake." Zachary groans.

"Aww, you're such a good dad." I tell him as I touch Drew's little legs.

"He's not my son though." He points out.

"Still." I say, rolling my eyes.

Drew starts crying and Zachary groans.

"Just go to sleep." He complains.

"I got it." I tell him as I grab Drew and I bounce him in my arms. "Get some rest." I tell him.

"Thank you." Zachary says, smiling at me. He lays on his bed and turns to the other side, his back to me. A few minutes later, Zachary is snoring.

"Okay big guy, let's go make you a bottle." I tell Drew with a baby voice.

I head to the kitchen and I'm surprised to see Maddison. Well, not surprised because she lives here, but because it's so early.

"Valarie." She says, smiling as she cuts a watermelon.

"Hey." I say as I stand there awkwardly with Drew in my arms. He starts crying again.

"Um...I actually wanted to make some food for Drew." I tell her.

"Formula is in the cabinet. Top right." Maddison says before she leaves the kitchen.

I grab the tin of formula and I see Drew's bottle by the spoon rack and I grab it as I pour some hot water into the cup, I put the powder in it and I stir till it's thick. I think that's how it's supposed to look like. I don't know, I've never done this before. I put the lid back on and I put the pacifier part of the bottle in Drew's mouth. He sucks on it gently and I smile. He's so cute.