Chapter 15

The Zuckermans have officially made it a routine to invade our house on Friday nights.

My conclusion: it's an experience.

"So how was school?" Dad asks, passing me the bowl of salad. He has always been a lame conversation starter.

"It was boring as usual." I shrug.

"Have you told him about your project?" Zuckerman offers. Dad looks between him and I, picking up his fork.

"What project?"

"Just a stupid partner project for AP Lit." I stab my meatloaf. "Nothing interesting."

Cherié pads around my feet underneath the table, whining for food. I slip her a crumb of cornbread, scratching her ears.

"If you ever need help, Sweetheart, I'm always here."

I nod my thanks, knowing for a fact he's always too busy keeping up with his own work to help with some 'kiddy homework'. "It's no big deal. My partner's a slight pain in the ass, but he works."

Dad raises a brow, "He?"

I internally groan, "Yes, Dad. Someone from the male gender."

"Oh, I see." He smirks subtly, popping a cherry tomato into his mouth.

Zuckerman must be begging for death as he chuckles in his seat.

"Don't worry, Nick. He's a good boy." He smirks into his glass as I blink.

"He's got a motorcycle though." Mom tsks disappointingly.

Brenda gasps dramatically. "My gosh, what a crime."

"No criminals under this roof, young lady." Dad teases.

I face palm, waiting for the torture to end. How did we end up talking about my love life...one that's nonexistent?

And I plan on keeping it that way. The past can sometimes define you, and I'm okay with that. 

"At this point, school is just an elaborate scheme to see who can cheat the fastest." Leo joins in, thankfully diverting the attention. I shoot him a grateful look as happily eating his cornbread.

Mom smacks him upside the head as we all laugh. I lean across the table, giving him a high five. "I taught him that."

"Charli Briar." Mom mutters, exhaustedly.

"Are you going to tell me I'm wrong? You were a principal and Cole's a teacher." I pull my legs onto the chair, sitting crisscrossed. "I've seen more kids use Quizlet for answers than their actual brain cells."

Cole stops mid bite as Mom shoots him a warning glare, advising him to pick his side wisely. He stuffs his mouth with lettuce, grumbling about how he can't talk with his mouth full.

Smart.

"We rest our case." Leo and I say in unison.

"Even if it is an 'elaborate scheme', I expect you to do your work with integrity, young lady." She eyes me before scolding Leo. "That goes for you too, Mister."

"Integrity was so 90s though, Zoe." Brenda argues cheekily, dodging the napkin chucked at her. "It has been more than twenty years and you still miss."

Mom seethes, fixing her beanie. I never see her without it these days. "I was a cheerleader, not a softball player."

"How you were so coordinated back then never ceases to amaze me." Brenda winks, taking a sip of wine from her glass.