Chapter 38: Tension

(AN: Thank you all for sticking with me these past couple of weeks with everything going on in the world and with this work. I am returning to regularly scheduled posting. Again, this chapter was co-written with charis_nikola and I'm so excited for you to read it!)

The next morning and after a fitful sleep, Alana woke up early, giving her enough time to attempt to contact Obi-Wan. Her headache persisted, and the continual stress of trying to contact her husband was not helping. She sighed in frustration after the communication failed time and time again. There was nothing left for her to do. It appeared that she wasn't going to be able to reach him. Instead, Alana quickly ate breakfast before moving to one of the meditation rooms for her morning meditation.

As she closed her eyes, her mind began to drift into the peace and balance of the Force. This was when Alana felt the most comfortable. She was undisturbed and most content within the walls of the temple and deeply embedded into the force.

As her eyes were closed, she faded deeper and deeper into the Force, feeling the bonds around her between happiness and sadness, serenity and chaos, and light and dark.

But the more she faded into the Force, the colder and more concerned she got. It was the same feeling she had gotten each time she had seen visions of her younger self.

Suddenly, the visions started. Out of the calm, the memories continued to flood back.

"I kneel before you as your servant," Alana said, kneeling before a darkened figure.

She couldn't make out who the person was, but in her heart, she knew it was the mysterious man in black who she had encountered in the hallway not long ago.

"Good, good!" The man laughed. "Rise, child. I have many tasks for you. Your powers will grow under mine and my friend, Count Dooku's tutelage."

"Yes," Alana smiled.

She was dressed in an all-black outfit, a red and black cloak wrapped around her body, the hood down to reveal her face to the man before her.

"I have a gift for you," the man said, reaching behind him and pulling out a black cylinder. He walked closer to her before reaching out and handing her the cylinder.

She looked at it for a moment before twisting it slightly, and it opened to reveal a lightsaber hilt.

It was completely black, with only a few rings of deep red at the hilt and the grip. She studied it for a moment before igniting it. It was a brilliant red color, and it shone brightly on her face. She found herself smiling.

"It's beautiful," she said.

"It's yours."

Alana turned and looked around the room, her eyes narrowing on a mirror. She approached cautiously before looking at her reflection in the mirror. And as she examined the sword, her eyes suddenly met her own, the glinting of the red barely reflecting in the yellow of her eyes.

Alana suddenly opened her eyes, finding herself back in the Temple. She was sweating, her mind overwhelmed. The yellow eyes were etched into her mind, violent, eerie, and foreign.

She sighed, taking a breath. She needed to figure out more about her past, but she wasn't sure how to do it. She rubbed her face with her hands before looking over to where a clock sat silently on the wall, and she gasped, realizing that the training session was supposed to begin soon.

She stood, making her way quickly out of the room, nodding at a handful at other Jedi that she passed.

By the time Alana finally arrived in the training room, Cieralai was sitting cross-legged on the ground in the center of the room with her eyes closed and her dual lightsabers positioned on each side of her body. She briefly opened her eyes to address Alana.