PREFACE

"I have had a thousand kisses, for which with my whole soul I thank love--but if you should deny me the thousand and first--'t would put me to the proof how great a misery I could live through"

- John Keats, 1819

✥ • • • • • ✥

✥ • • • • • ✥

✥ • • • • • ✥

EXCERPT

If I let him go, I would die.

The thought should have came when I tasted the pine-scented breeze. When my lips parted and frosted air rushed in. When the floor fell from beneath me, or when I opened my eyes to a spatter of stars and sky. But in those seconds, I couldn't think. I only experienced.

I saw him and our joined hands. Above that, his wickedness tore through the night, cold and unforgiving in his black suit. Beautiful in his set jaw and dark smolder. It took a beat to return to my body and realize just my toes touched the chipped balcony's edge, and that nothing else--not my back, my legs, or my head resisted gravity. 

He did it all for me. He, alone, held me from a sixty foot drop. If he so much as loosened his grip, I'd tumble until the pavement down below put me to sleep.

And just as panic bloomed in my chest, fierce and raging, his voice nipped it in the bud. 

"Are you afraid?" 

Yes. Deathly afraid. If he saw it in my eyes, he didn't acknowledge it. If anything, the sides of his lips downturned in what I assumed was disappointment. But I swallowed anyway, unable to tell him why.  

It was not death that frightened me. I was born for that.

What scared me was how much I trusted him. How I felt in the deepest part of me that I could hang here for centuries and his grip would never falter. It scared me how much I wanted to stay alive solely to remain here with him, but at the same time, how much I wanted to rush to immortality to be with him forever.

✥ • • • • • ✥

✥ • • • • • ✥

CONTENTS

✥ This is a paranormal romance BTS AU with a dark academia aesthetic featuring vampires and a new race of my own creation entitled vorvians. As such, it will contain the following:

✥ Angst, action, badass half-bloods and immortals, battle, diamonds, fangs, lust, romance, secrets above and below, silver weapons and superhuman agility, speed, and strength

✥ Every BTS member has a role

✥ Sensitive topics (abuse, violence, mental illness, etc.) will be handled with the utmost diligence. In no way does this work glorify violence, I only ask that you understand that the world of the paranormal is based on creatures that have the same survival instinct as you and me.

✥ • • • • • ✥

NOTES

(A/N) Students of Renault Preparatory,

It warms my heart to find you reading these words and taking the time to consider them at all. Thank you, always, for your attention. I hope that you've remained healthy and safe. I also hope that you are in the mood for a dark romance. 

A vampire au is not surprising from me. I've always wanted one, but never knew how to bring anything new or fresh to the table. I believe that this time, I may have wiggled into something triumphant. I suppose we'll find out. In the meantime, I'll say a few words.

✥ This is a work of fiction. All events, places, character names and related aspects are fictitious, and any similarities to real-world equivalents are entirely coincidental. Besides Chloe's character. I used her as a blueprint for Clara.

✥ Inspiration for this came loosely from an interactive story called Crave. Flint, if you ever read this, I would choose you over Jaxon any day. Except, he'll never read this because he's not a real person. He's a dragon. 

✥ In light of recent plagiarism scandals, here's my take. We all take the risk of falling victim to those that copy/paste and rearrange tiny details by publishing on a public platform. However, that does not make it any more tolerable, acceptable, or ethically correct.

✥ That being said, please do not copy this work or the work of others. You are perfectly capable of creativity and originality on your own if you'll only give yourself the patience and grace to write what speaks to you.

Again, thank you. Like, actually thank you. It is always fun to have someone along for the ride, and you in particular make this endeavor that much more meaningful. Thank you! Please, take some of this story's dedication for your hard work as a reader!

The other crystal clear dedication goes to bblues- and Jill. Chlo stayed up with me for 12 hours straight to help me plan this work from start to finish, and she never lost an ounce of enthusiasm for the vision. Jill answered all my phone calls to listen to me play tennis with two different ideas, and she helped me create an entire mythic race. I could not ask for a better support system.

Like, guys, please be in pursuit of friendships so pure. If you have one already, nurture it for all its worth.

Alas, it's nearly time to dive in. Hope you enjoy, and welcome to your first semester at Renault!

With love,

Milan
President of Renault Prep

Next release: 6/8, June 8th
Your Welcome and Guide